PDA

View Full Version : Access Problem

d0nut
12-12-2002, 10:29 AM
Can anyone explain why, on some days (today is one of them) I cannot access the majority of websites. It is as if the ntl server is down. However, some sites, such as this one, I have no trouble with. Others, eBay in particular, I cannot access at all. This situation occurs about once or twice a month. I am on broadband, so cannot imagine what a phone-line connection must be like.
Suggestions, please.
d0nut

Budfred
12-12-2002, 11:05 AM
I usually assume it is traffic jam issues. Sometimes it is problems with the site itself. With eBay, they often seem to get bogged down, I think partly because they are so huge. When I am on eBay, I usually have several windows open and each of those take resources. Multiply that by the millions that may be accessing at any time and it begins to look pretty crowded. Some days there are Denial of Service attacks going on somewhere and that can bog down major chunks of the net. Other days the SPAMmers are out in force eating up bandwidth. When I run into a bottleneck, I usually just go somewhere else, except for when I want to be here of course....

Budfred:)

d0nut
12-12-2002, 11:12 AM
Thanks, Budfred. What is a 'Denial of Service attack', by the way?
:confused:

mjc
12-12-2002, 12:06 PM
Denial of Service attacks are a method of attacking a website/network/computer that prevents normal access. This is accomplished, usually, by hitting the machine with an overwhelming amount of meaningless traffic. This traffic can be something as simple as having a multitude of computers ping the one computer all at once or it can get much more complex. Most DoS attacks are carried out by unsuspectting users whose machines are infected with a trojan or a worm. This turns their machine into a zombie client for some malcontent.....

Some of the recent worms are capable of intitiating several hundred pings per second, on a high speed connection (cable/DSL). Imagine a couple of thousand of these broadband connected machines all sending that traffic to one site......

d0nut
12-12-2002, 04:29 PM
Thanks, mjc. The mind boggles. Today has been a complete waste of time as far as surfing goes. Hope it's better tomorrow.:)
d0nut

d0nut
12-13-2002, 04:15 AM
Everything back to normal today :)