PDA

View Full Version : IE as a picture viewer

ravislayer
12-12-2002, 06:10 PM
I use IE5 when designing web pages to view images, however since changing PC's and reinstalling IE5 it inists on opening .jpg or .gif files in a new window each time. how do I make them open in the same window all the time? Otherwise it is unmanageable!!

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Budfred
12-12-2002, 06:33 PM
I believe that is a check box item under Internet Options in Control Panel.

Budfred

kayofcircles
12-13-2002, 11:18 AM
Okay..I got IE 5..and all I can find under Internet Options, Advanced tab, is a box under the Multimedia section that says "show pictures" and under Browsing section a box checked for "Reuse windows for launching shortcuts."

When you changed computers, did you configure the Desktop the same way? Like Web style versus Windows Classic? I am probably reaching here, but Start..Settings...Folder Options..General tab is where you set that stuff. But, mine is set on Windows Classic, and I clicked on Custom and then the Settings icon..and got to page that says "open each folder in its own window" and that is checked on mine..so, don't know, but IE is woven into Desktop and if you don't have it configured the same way you had it before, that might be the problem?

I take it you're "checking" your work by viewing the web page online, right? And you're using the same web designer software as before..similar to Front Page Express (only much more advanced..lol)? Do you have a link to a page we could check..and see if we're having any similar problems?

ravislayer
12-14-2002, 11:39 AM
I am trying to open multiple images offline, in one window, not hundreds!! I cant find the link in internet options regarding images other than the basic "show pictures" check box.

The desktop is configured in exactly the same way.

kayofcircles
12-14-2002, 12:57 PM
Sorry..never have done any Web pages, so I am out of ideas. I piddled with Front Page Express once..but not enough to really "know" anything. You are using the same software as before, right? And just as a random, far fetched idea..did you check in Folder Options, under the File Types tab, and make sure that jpgs and gifs are set to open in IE?

ravislayer
12-14-2002, 08:00 PM
yep, set that up myself, one of the first things i checked, thanks anyway

kayofcircles
12-15-2002, 11:36 AM
I am a bit slow sometimes, but think I finally understand your question. Only problem now is that I have no idea how you got it to work before. If I open a bunch of jpg files on my Desktop, they each open in their own window. I can link to them in Front Page Express, and they'll open there in the same window, but not on the Desktop. And when I want a "two pics" type jpg, I have to make that with my PSP and save it as a jpg file before looking at it in one window in IE (to check appearance). And I guess you could also put more than one jpg file in an email message, and it would show all in the same "place".

Sorry to be no help. And if you figure out how you got it to work before, could you please post back and let me know? For future reference? I have "web page creation" on my "To do eventually" list. :)

Paul Komski
12-15-2002, 09:30 PM
First look at the file association entries for htm (which presumably uses IE to open with by default). Click on Advanced and you will see a list on the left including Edit, Open, Print, Open in Same Window...

Normally Open is the default but it is quite easy to change the default here if you want to.

Now you have set up gif files etc to open with IE and it is obvious that the straight Open command is the default (it may be the only option you set), so if the Open in Same Window option is not available there, you could copy all the values from the htm associations into the gif associations and then make the Open in Same Window the default. And so on ......

;)

ravislayer
12-17-2002, 02:56 PM
thanks very much chaps, changing the file association fro "open" to "open in new window" worked like a charm!!

God only knows how i did it before......

ravislayer
12-17-2002, 04:11 PM
and kay if you want any help with web design its my area of speciality, so contact me on the email in my profile.

kayofcircles
12-18-2002, 11:17 AM
Thanks, ravislayer ..I will remember that! Hope you're still around by the "eventually" when I finally get around to doing stuff on my "To Do" list..lol.

Paul : Been too rushed and lazy to post a "thanks"..but didn't know what you posted above and do thank you!:D

Paul Komski
12-18-2002, 03:07 PM
Kay, I think many of us have largely ignored the various ways of changing/editing/configuring file associations. Changes made here are mirrored in the Registry, but it is a much safer way to do any such editing. It's still possible to screw things up - but not with the same dire consequencies such as rendering a pc non-functional by a misconfigured Registry edit.