PDA

View Full Version : Overclocking a P3

Steve
12-12-2002, 10:11 PM
Hi folks,

Seems kinda empty down here...BUT, my new motherboard (SOYO SY-7VCA-E) bills itself as an overclockers dream. No jumpers. It's all done in the BIOS. So I thought I'd give it a shot.

I have a 500mhz P3 in there and I have slowly increased this to 580mhz. That's somewhere around a 16-17% increase. Pretty nice. And noticable too. Things are a little faster.

I'm keeping track of things with MBM (motherboard monitor). What exactly should I be looking for? CPU temp. went from 75deg. F. at 500mhz to 78/79 F. at 580mhz.

I have a heatsink and fan that's made for a 2.4gig P4 on it, so cooling doesn't seem to be a problem. Everything seems to be working alright.

Should I just keep going?

YODA74
12-12-2002, 11:12 PM
careful...If you take a 500mhz p3 chip thats rated at 5.0 clock speed x 100 mhz bus speed and raise your bus speed to 110 you get a 550 mhz p3 for free. Thats concidered a safe overclock point. Now if you go past this point then think about faster memory chips and a little more cooling.

http://www.sharkyextreme.com/hardware/intel_p3_500/d.shtml

might want to check some of this out?

let us know how you like that board I've been wanting but haven't been able to afford one yet:D

Steve
12-12-2002, 11:51 PM
Thanks YODA, careful is my middle name. :rolleyes: Boosting it to 116x5.0 is giving me 580mhz. I'm not sure what the temp. should be in this situation, but 78/80 F. sounds pretty low.

According to the manual, you can set the speed of the memory seperately from the CPU. I need to do a lot more investigating on how to do this.

So far I like this board. It takes a little time to understand it all but hey, time I got.

One of the things I like about it is the ISA slot. So many have been boostin' the glories of an ISA hardware modem, that when I came across one for $15 I couldn't refuse. Even though I'm on cable now, I also still have my dial up connection and I want to see if the "hardware modem" is all it's cracked up to be.

Well, it's to late to experiment any more tonight. I'll keep workin' on it tomorrow.

Peace and Love...

YODA74
12-13-2002, 07:59 AM
sounds sweet.... don't know if you play games or not (i like to play it safe)...everytime i set it up i would leave it for a few day's and put it under a heavy load just to see what the temps are fluctuating at from idle to load. those temps seem kind of low so i'm taking it that they are Idle? I would expect them to jump anywhere from 7 to 11 degree's possably more.
If you seem pretty safe when you get to around 600mhz enable ACPI mode see if you get system hang and screen corruption? IF your going that high?

Don't know much about Soyo boards but don't they report CPU internal Diode? most boards don't but I believe soyo does?

I'm experimenting with you here I don't have one to play with (thats a rich mans game to overclock):D

mjc
12-13-2002, 02:14 PM
Sounds pretty good so far......and those temps seem pretty reasonable.

Steve
12-13-2002, 09:09 PM
OK. The system starts right up and temps. are as stated last night.

YODA, you mentioned putting it under a load. I'd like to. I don't do any gameing. Is there any program that you can suggest that would put this machine under a good load to test it out?

Here's a question. If I go ahead... and go to far, what components are in danger? CPU could burn out. Could the RAM be damaged? Any other components in jeopardy?

Steve
12-13-2002, 11:13 PM
Ok. I'm up to 120x5.0 for a woppin' 600mhz. :) Everything seems to be fine. With a few windows open, music playing and win mx downloading some music, I'm up to 80/81 degrees on the processor.

OK. I'm there. YODA could you tell me more about ACPI?

Budfred
12-13-2002, 11:19 PM
If the CPU burns out, anything nearby would be at risk and that generally means RAM. The motherboard might never be useful again too. Probably won't effect other parts unless they are active at the precise moment the thing dies. It generally isn't good for hard drives to stop abruptly, but it would probably survive. Have you checked out some of the overclockers boards to see what they say about pushing it???

From the temps you report, you probably have to push pretty hard to really burn it up.

Budfred

BTW, for putting it under load, there are programs that will run it pretty intensively. I imagine a defrag or thorough scan would keep it pretty busy.

Budfred again

YODA74
12-14-2002, 12:01 AM
First off what windows and does the motherboard bios support ACPI=

(Advanced Configuration and Power Interface).is a replacement for the standard Advanced Power Management (APM) used by many computers.

I'd let it run for a couple of days the way it is and just play around with different programs to put it under a load just print a nice intence color picture on the printer, also open as many programs as you can and run them all at the same time play some songs play a movie.let it run for a couple of days on uptime no reboots.. you could proboly take it to 648 but let it run at 600 for a while,and don't take any chances on frying anything on someone's say so equiptment is to expensive.Go to where it starts to have problems and back it down a little from there.It's proboly not going to get any higher than 667MHz I believe the multiplyer on that is locked at 5x???

like i say I'm not an overclocking guru can't afford it.There are a few good sites out there that deal strictly in this.mostly young people that like to have bragging rights.
:D I my self would just soon have a dual processor board does the same just less headache
I'm up to 80/81 degrees on the processor Temps these farenhit? hasn't changed that much.

Steve
12-14-2002, 10:51 AM
I wouldn't want it to literally BURN UP! :eek: No I haven't been to any overclocker boards. I've been going buy the manual and suggestions here. Any suggestions for O/C boards?

Yes, it does have ACPI. I'm using w2k for the OS.

The motherboard has a series of dip switches to change the multiplier. I could change the settings to 5.5 or 6. Would this be useful? I could lower the processor speed and raise the miltiplier. Is this what you're thinking?

And yes, the temps are Fahrenheit.

kenja
12-15-2002, 02:20 AM
I do 12-hour burn-ins using Sisoftware's Sandra (http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/index.php?dir=&location=sware_dl&a=&lang=en) . Using the burn-in wizard, I select the CPU/Media CPU benchmarks and/or the memory benchmark, and run continuously.

If your motherboard handles 133MHz FSB CPUs, I'd try running your 500 @ 666MHz (Yikes!, not a good number for marketing).

I've got an 800MHz Celeron that runs fine on a 133MHz FSB, at 1066MHz. Requires a decent quality (300W) power supply, though. That only works on one of my two Gigabyte Intel815 boards, the newer version. Even boosting the core voltage 10% didn't help for the older, non-FCPGA2 board.

I'm used to running Durons and Athlons, so any CPU temp less than 100F seems stone cold to me.:)

hiredgoonz
12-15-2002, 06:36 PM
As long as you're not raising the cpu voltage, you're not likely to burn out the cpu.

If you overclock the pci bus too much, you could burn out your hard drives, cd-roms, modems, nics, etc...but that shouldn't be a problem if you keep it under 40mhz...

You say that the memory bus can be set independently, I would be more concerned about what the pci divider is at the moment. At 120mhz, you're running the pci bus at 40mhz. (120/3=40)

This may not be a problem for a while, but could damage your components in the long run

You can set the multiplier to anything you want, it won't change anything. The 100mhz fsb P2s and above have the multipler burned into the silicon...

Your board probably automatically changes the pci divider to 4 when you hit a certain FSB, I would check to see what that is exactly...

Steve
12-15-2002, 07:42 PM
Thanks for tha sandra link, kenja. I've got it downloaded and have started to explore it. I haven't found where I could run a test for hour's at a time but I'm sure I'll find it.

HG, you're right. The multiplier is set at 5.0 at the factory and that's all you can get from it.

I really don't know enough about the various bus' to make much sense of it all. Here is what I've got in BIOS...

CPU HOST 120
PCI CLOCK 40

And on the startup screen (the one with the memory count)...

PentiumIII 600E (120X5.0)

Sooo...I'm figuring that I'm running a 100mhz processor at 120mhz. That may mean I'm running my pc100 ram at 120mhz also. Is that correct? Is that OK? Or should I buy some pc133 RAM for it. (which I'm going to do soon anyway)

And I figure the 40mhz is the sound card, video card, nic and modem. I presume they're rated as 33mhz devices and I'm running them at 40mhz.

Temps. are up to 83 degrees F. for the cpu and 80 degrees for the chipset and 70 degrees for the ambient air temp.

Do I have this right? Am I going to damage anything like this?

kenja
12-15-2002, 10:10 PM
Page 65 in the manual shows the BIOS setting for making the memory run 33MHz slower than the FSB. (Advanced Chipset Features)

Confirmed in the manual: Setting the FSB @ 133 drops the PCI bus back down to 33MHz.

I've got the pro version of Sandra 2001; I check the "Run continuously" box, which overrides the "Run Times" box (there is no timer function).

Steve
12-15-2002, 10:45 PM
Thanks kenja,

I found the section for burn in test and it was set to 10 repetitions of all the tests. I let it rip. Went for a little more than an hour. Got up to 91 deg. F. All tests finished OK.

I tried lowering the memory to run 33mhz below FSB and that puts the memory running at 87mhz. Seems kinda slow but I'm gonna try it for a day or two and see if I notice the difference.

Thanks for the interest and direction. :)

malcore
12-15-2002, 11:18 PM
Steve,

A great test for overclocking is to run Prime95 torture test for at least 6 hours. Will put your temps to the max!

To really test stability run the torture test and then play a game while Prime95 runs in the background or run 3DMark while Prime95 is in the background.
Get it here (http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm)

Good idea to test your memory with memtest86 to insure complete stability. Even one error when running these programs means you should back down a bit, unless you feel you will never stress your computer to this point in actual use.( I prefer 100% stability)

memtest86 (http://www.memtest86.com/)

3DMark (http://www.madonion.com/)

Budfred
12-16-2002, 01:36 AM
Keep in mind that if your highest temp thus far is 91F, you are hotter than the chip.... If you hold the chip in your hand long enough, it might rise to 98F. You have a long way to go before you have to start worrying about the temps....

Budfred

hiredgoonz
12-16-2002, 05:55 PM
I wouldn't worry about the temperature, but that PCI bus is getting high...

In addition to possibly damaging your components, you run the risk of corrupting data on the system.

If you're not worried about it, then, hey, it's your system, but be aware of the risk...

Steve
12-16-2002, 07:00 PM
Thanks guys,

HG, actually I am a little worried about it. I dropped the RAM back 33mhz and it improved performance. It seems quicker and sharper now. I want to cut back on the pci bus as kenja suggested. I hate to admit it, but I just can't find the setting to set the FSB at 133mhz to drop the pci bus back to 33mhz. :o I have the manual, but I'm kinda at a loss...

kenja
12-16-2002, 08:14 PM
Personally, I don't raise my PCI bus over the standard 33MHz.

I'm looking at this (http://www.motherboards.org/files/manuals/107/m7vca10.pdf) manual. Page 56, 57 on the footer, page 60, 61 on the .pdf.

Some mobos require a jumper to change from 100 to 133 FSB, but yours will change the "divider" automatically when you enter 133 (table on .pdf 61). Sorry about the page 65 misreference.

Steve
12-16-2002, 08:37 PM
Hi, thanks for the reply. I see the problem. First, and I don't think it really matters, I'm using the 7vca-E board and manual. When you plug a cpu into the board, it recognizes it as 66, 100 or 133mhz. In my case 100mhz. When you access the BIOS you have a choice limited to the particular processor.

I have a choise of 100/33, 105/35, 112/37, 116/38, 120/40. I'm using the 120/40mhz setting. Which by the way, some things I've read say wont even work!

But I guess that 40mhz pci bus might be stretching things to far. What would you guys suggest? 112/37?

kenja
12-16-2002, 09:15 PM
Mmm... and the only jumper clears CMOS. That sux.

hiredgoonz
12-16-2002, 09:40 PM
Conventional wisdom on overclocking says to stay below 40mhz on the pci bus...actually 37.5mhz is considered the "safe" limit...so the 112/37 setting is probably the highest you should go unless you want to risk problems.

That will give you 560mhz, over a 10% increase, which isn't bad, considering it's for free. ;)

Steve
12-16-2002, 10:02 PM
Well... thanks guys. This has been a very interesting experiment. It's the first time I've fooled around with overclocking. I've learned a lot.
I even understand the whole bus thing a lot better. ;)

And yeah, I really don't want any problems. I'm gonna leave it at 112/37. :)

PS...Malcore, thanks for the link. But the 1 in 60,000 odds is a little beyond me! :eek: