PDA

View Full Version : Router and port forwarding???

diurnal
12-15-2002, 10:59 PM
Ok question here? I have a router and have set up ftp port forwarding it. Ok that is the only port i have forward to be accessed by the outside world. Now here is the question , i use some Peer to Peer software that uses port 300 and 301. OK when i download stuff and people upload from me, they can accomplish it..

How can they accomplish this when i only have the ftp port(21) open on my router??

Im baffled!!

mjc
12-16-2002, 01:08 AM
Better check your config.....you may have inadvertanly told it to allow your P2P app and it is doing it for both up and down.......

diurnal
12-18-2002, 03:59 AM
I looked into the router and there are no ports open for 301&300. So your saying a software Peer to Peer can configure my router to port forward?

Some one told me it was because I was using DNS. Dunno? Any others want to chime in?

Ghost_Hacker
12-18-2002, 04:52 AM
How can they accomplish this when i only have the ftp port(21) open on my router??

You've proably misconfigured your router. You might get better help if you outlined what steps you took to close your router's ports and what router you use. Also what type of P2P software are you using?

Good Luck :)

diurnal
12-18-2002, 05:22 AM
Its a netgear router. Im wondering are all ports open on default because there is no where i can close the ports? There is no options on my router configuration screen. I thought the only way you could use a port with a router was to use port forwarding and configure your OS for a service like ftp?.,

But i guess all ports are open, because i do not have to configure the http port 80.?

The P2p is Direct connect.

Ghost_Hacker
12-18-2002, 05:56 AM
Some of Netgears routers come with all ports closed by default. However, without the model number of your Netgear router I can't help you to figure out what is going on with your setup. (hint,hint :D )

diurnal
12-18-2002, 06:53 PM
netgear RP614

Ghost_Hacker
12-19-2002, 12:53 AM
One question. Have you setup your computer as the default DMZ server? (check your security page to be sure.)

If so, this would be the cause of your problems. The DMZ server is totally exposed on the internet. In order for port forwarding rules to work as you intend you must not setup your computer as the "DMZ server".

diurnal
12-19-2002, 06:05 AM
Oh hell that was it:D :cool:

Nice job GHOSTH4CK3R My computer was the default DMZ. WHEWWW HOOOHOHO

WHo taught you to be so proficiency!? MJC or Pete :D

thanks a ton. U THE MAN!!!

mjc
12-19-2002, 10:37 AM
GH teaches us.....

He is the local resident network guru. I think he has forgotten more about networking than many of us have learned.