PDA

View Full Version : LINUX via CD

HeadachesAbound
12-17-2002, 05:12 PM
Interesting...

Knoppix (http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/linux/story/0,24330,3411272,00.html)

Budfred
12-17-2002, 09:34 PM
Sounds cool, I'm downloading it.

Budfred

HeadachesAbound
12-17-2002, 11:00 PM
Downloaded last night. Burned it tonight. Seems to be a nice and neat way for the Windoze crowd to learn more about Linux. I installed Linux at one point on my PC but I haven't had a chance to put it back on since the last OS DNR.

Mark Miller
12-18-2002, 12:12 AM
Hey guys,
This sounds like a great way to try linux, but Iam still a fraidy cat.
Let us know how it goes after you've tried it.
Mark:cool:

Budfred
12-18-2002, 12:17 AM
I need to install software to download it in sections, it is too damn big to download in one sitting. I may not get to it for a while, but I'll let you know how it goes when I try it.

Budfred

HeadachesAbound
12-18-2002, 08:42 AM
This boots directly from the CD, no installation to the HD required.

You can still wipe out your system with it, but you would have to do some work to get that to happen. I recommend it for first-timers interested in seeing what Linux looks and feels like from a GUI perspective.

And yes it is a large download. Mine originally started downloading at around 200K/sec but steadily dropped in speed until it was down to around 30K/sec. It took at least 6 hrs for me and I have a cable modem.

Hope this helps to encourage you Mark. Linux is a more stable OS and provides a lot of good free apps. The last time I had it running off my machine I was able to do everything I could in Windows and more.

Mark Miller
12-18-2002, 11:07 AM
Thanks for the encouragement, I'll probably try it after the holidays. I want to check the site info a little more.
Mark:)

ErnieK
12-19-2002, 08:35 PM
Just what I need. I have been thinking about Linux but have been put of because of my reading skills. I have heard it takes a lot of setting up.

So I poped in and started downloading. 96hrs and rising (dialup)

Oh well I have nothing else to do and a wee bit at a time. As Confucious used to say the longest journey starts with the first step. Or in this case the first Kb :rolleyes: lets see, it will take me about 3 months to download,

Ach! what the heck I do not think I will bother. If anybody knows of another setup like this that is easy to get let (me) us would be Linux hopefuls know

Budfred
12-19-2002, 10:06 PM
Ernie,

Did you notice the link where you can order it:

Knoppix Linux 3.1 (1 CD) - 2.50
That is from the site with the order form in the UK.

Budfred

ErnieK
12-20-2002, 06:15 PM
Thanks Budfred
No I did not notice the link. I will go back in over the weekend and send for the CD. Once I recieveit I will let you all know how I manage to muck up my beloved computer :p (So what else will be new? :D )

gopi_vs
12-26-2002, 05:57 AM
Hi all!

You can also try Winlinux, which can be installed as a appliaction on Windows platform. Linux can be run as a application from Windows. People unwilling to load real Linux can give this a try!:)

<b><font color="navy">The thing always happens that you really believe in; and the belief in a thing makes it happen.</font></b>

sea69
12-29-2002, 09:56 AM
am giving it a try

(download says 7 days 16 hours!)

;)

sea69
01-02-2003, 09:14 AM
got it, burned the CD (ISO-image) -> tried to boot to it, computer "sees" the CD and just sits there with the blinking cursor............->bla

what did I do wrong?

700MBs- KNOPPIX_V3.1-2002-12-12-EN.iso

:confused:

mjc
01-02-2003, 10:46 AM
Ok, here are some links on iso burning....

http://www.linuxiso.org/viewdoc.php/howtoburn.html

Does it still show one big iso when you look at it in Windows or does it show individual files?

sea69
01-02-2003, 11:18 AM
the CD has two files on it:

BOOTCAT.BIN - 2.00 KB (2,048 bytes)

B0OTIMG.BIN- 700 MB (734,167,040 bytes)

Vic 970
01-02-2003, 04:32 PM
took me ages to find the link to the CD for 2.50, so for any who are interested, here it is to save you searching

http://www.linuxemporium.co.uk/index.php?PAGE=4

Vic 970
01-02-2003, 04:48 PM
have just ordered the Cd. I tried Mandrake before, but it gave windows a few probs, in trying to fix these I accidently re-formatted the complete drive and haven't tried it since.

I have since fancied trying Red Hat (but on a seperate pc)

I would be interested to see how this compares to any of the other linux systems, so to those of you with experience on other linux systems, if you try this please post back and let us know. Thanks.

sea69
01-02-2003, 09:02 PM
well I downloaded and burned "KNOPPIX_V3.1-2002-12-12-EN.iso" to CD and apparently, that's not all that I need.

:eek:

mjc
01-02-2003, 09:54 PM
Ok, what are you using to burn it?

If it is done correctly that big file should be cracked open and several files should be on the disc.

HeadachesAbound
01-02-2003, 10:34 PM
I have found that my burning software (Roxio) doesn't like ISO's very well. I have to use WinISO to extract the files from the ISO to a temp directory and then burn them to the CD. It sounds like you might be experiencing the same problem.

Rick
01-03-2003, 06:45 AM
Originally posted by HeadachesAbound
I have found that my burning software (Roxio) doesn't like ISO's very well. I have to use WinISO to extract the files from the ISO to a temp directory and then burn them to the CD. It sounds like you might be experiencing the same problem.

With directCD started and running (By Default in the background)
All you should need to do is double click the ISO file in an explorer window and it ( Roxio) will create the new cd

Just inset the new cd-r and its off and running.

Vic 970
01-04-2003, 04:57 PM
CD arrived this morning (Quick eh) wanted to boot from floppy, but had no success at creating one, so I reset Bios to boot from CD.

First impression:

well it's slow as one might expect (running from CD) but set itself up ok. except for mouse & printer. mouse very slow (need much bigger mouse mat) but I got that generally right in control centre which made it better, did'nt manage to configure printer though.

Need some more time with it, but anything that doesn;t configure right (like my mouse) will have to be reset after every boot.
so there are some downsides, but for a cheap & easy way to play around, practice & get used to it before 'going in for real' it's ok.

jhoke
01-04-2003, 07:29 PM
You can get Knoppix from

www.edmunds-enterprises.com

I've purchased about 15 CD's from them in the last 2 years with no problems. All CD's are $2.49 p&h *included*!

good luck.
jack