PDA

View Full Version : The "Eraser" Program - Problem?

Jericho
12-18-2002, 09:41 PM
Somebody here recommended using the ERASER program as a security tool so I downloaded it. Today I was erasing the unused space on my C-drive and had to interrupt it before it finished. Now I THINK I have less space on my drive than I did before I started. Is it true that ERASER puts data in a temp file, and my killing the program before it finished didn't allow it the opportunity to clear this temp file? Thing is, I can't locate where this file might be. I checked the ERASER folder, I looked in the TEMP windows files (I use WindowsXP by the way) but no luck. Where does ERASER send these? I want to find them and delete them! Hoping somebody might know... the readme didn't answer this question.

Thanks in advance,
Jericho

mjc
12-18-2002, 09:48 PM
Hmmm......

It writes temporay data to the drive, no particular folder. I would try a general drive clean up and running Eraser again without stopping.

Jericho
12-19-2002, 03:06 PM
Well I cleaned the unused space again (one pass this time) and let it finish on its own without my interruption. Oddly, I had 12.0 gig free space before I did this... when it finished I had 11.8! So not only did I not recapture the space lost previously, I lost more space. In all I THINK I may have lost 3+ gigs of hard-drive space to this problem.

What else can I do? I need to recapture this lost space.

I still have BC WIPE installed...... if I cleaned the unused space with THAT program would it maybe take care of this problem? I assume not, but thought I'd ask.

Help!!!

:( :(

Jericho

mjc
12-19-2002, 03:49 PM
So before you ran Eraser for the first time you had nearly 15 GB of free space?

11.8 and 12 could just be the difference between swapfile usage and not, but 3GB......

Also run a scandisk....

Vic 970
12-19-2002, 06:48 PM
as I see it:

the purpose of eraser & wipe is to prevent previously deleted data from being restored. to do this it overwrites it with more 'data' (several times) like scribbling out a word or sentence on a notepad,
As the 'space' remains 'available' it should not affect the 'free' space.

it looks like stopping the prog short has caused the loss of space, but running the prog again would have little efffect if any as the 'lost' space is no longer available.

you need a prog to clean up uneccasary or invalid data, perhaps easycleaner would do the trick.

http://www.webtree.ca/newlife/easycleaner_info.htm

ErnieK
12-20-2002, 08:28 PM
What about "Show All Files And Folders" then do a search for files created on the afore said date? Or as they could be TEMP files do asearch for *Temp. Would this not find these extra files?

mjc
12-20-2002, 10:00 PM
The problem is Eraser doesn't create a file, it just writes raw data to the disk.....

ErnieK
12-22-2002, 08:49 AM
Ah! Wrong twice in one day! :o thanks again MJC. As they say a little knowledge is worse than no knowledge

Sylvander
12-22-2002, 11:02 AM
Wouldn't it be amazing if this was caused by huge amounts of data occupying the "Clipboard" and all that was needed to solve the problem was to copy a single space whilst in a text file.

That's too much to hope for I suppose, but worth trying anyway.

I assume "Eraser" works within Windows.
In that case I'd download and install "DiskFrontier" and use it to study the space usage on your drives.
If any one file or folder is occupying a huge space it will clearly show at the top of the graphic display.

See it here
http://www.pcworld.com/resource/article/0%2Caid%2C3966%2Cpg%2C9%2C00.asp
but the software is unavailable until at least January 2003.

I don't suppose the Application would alter the FAT from 32 bit to 16 bit and increase the amount of "slack" in the file system?
[I don't know anything about the way "Eraser" works.]

"When erasing free disk space, Eraser fills your hard drive with temporary files and overwrites them. Therefore, for a short period of time, there will be no space left on your hard drive and Windows warns you about this. You don't have to run Disk Cleanup, and can safely ignore the warning message, because when Eraser is done, it will delete all temporary files it created."

Q: "After running Eraser the free space on my drive was lost or reduced noticeably. How can I fix this?"
A: It could be that either Eraser was terminated abnormally or the system crashed causing the temporary files not to be removed. You can remove the folder "~ERAFSWD.TMP" and all the files in it to reclaim the disk space (open command prompt and type "deltree X:\~ERAFSWD.TMP", where X is the drive letter).

If your drive is compressed (with third-party compression software) and you did not turn off the cluster tip erasing, you must recompress the drive to restore the lost space next time, do not use cluster tip erasing on compressed drives.
END OF QUOTE

I found the above at http://www.tolvanen.com/eraser/
using a free download of "Copernic Agent Basic" got from
http://www2.copernic.com/desktop/products/agent/download.html

Jericho
12-25-2002, 09:09 PM
Despite my silence, I HAVE been reading your replies and appreciate all the feedback. Nothing seemed to fix my problem.... until tonight :). I decided to go ahead and run my old erasing program, BC WIPE, doing only 2 passes of unused drive space. Anyway, when I finished, the missing 2 gigs (approx) of lost space had magically reappeared! Not sure how or why this worked, but I'm just glad it did. Thanks to all who took the time to read and write. I appreciate it!

Jericho