PDA

View Full Version : How do you change voltage?

Nooyawkah
01-02-2003, 01:20 PM
Here's a review I read. How do you change the voltage?

Vantec Aluminum Hard Disk Drive Cooler. 2 Fans. Retail. Extend the life time of Hard Drive, Enhance the Hard Drive in an Optimal Cooling environment, Universal for Any Case at Newegg.com. If you leave the top of your case off this little HSF makes a whining noise that takes some time to get use to. UPDATE: I changed the power from 12v to 5v. It made the cooler very quiet. It is still works extremely well. I turned the power to the fan off for a while and the heatsink was extremely hot to touch so the fan on 5v works excellent. This is a must have, cooler does its job extremely well.

david eaton
01-02-2003, 02:48 PM
Assuming that this cooler has a molex type connector, if the connection is moved from the yellow wire to the red, that runs it on 5 volts. Another alternative is to connect it between yellow and red which give a 7 volt supply.

David

Nooyawkah
01-02-2003, 11:49 PM
David, I'm an electrical midget :p so just take this one step further with me. A molex connector has 4 wires, 2 black, a yellow and a red. They're ALL connected. So could you please explain a bit more about moving the connection from yellow to read.
Confused in NY

Rick
01-03-2003, 06:29 AM
Your Fan will have 2 or 3 wires connected to it.
Red/black or red/black/yellow
The Red/Black in both instances are the power and the Ground

The red/black/yellow are power+ ground- and tach

On the power supply cable you have a Malex connector
red/black/black/yellow
red+ (5volts) black- (Gounds) Yellow + (12Volt)

If you disconnect the wiring from the Plug end
Moving the Hot/Power (RED) from the fan
To One of the other contacts ( red/ Yellow) it will use that voltage when reconnected

IE: Running a 12 Volt fan on a 5 volt connector will force it to run slower

Normal 12Volt connection
FAN -----RED–-[ ]-----------Yellow ------Power supply
FAN---BLACK--[ ]-------BLACK---------Power Supply
No Connection ]-------Black ------------Power Supply
No Connection ]-------Red --------------Power Supply

Reconfigured to run at 5 Volts
No Connection ]-----------Yellow ------Power supply
FAN -----RED–--[ ]-------Red --------------Power Supply

Normal 12Volt connection With 3 Wire and 2 connectors on fan

FAN -----RED–-[ ]-----------Yellow ------Power supply
No Connection ]-------Red --------------Power Supply
FAN –YELLOW —[ ]—Directly to Mother Board (3 pin) connector for Fan Monitor

Normal fan connector attached to M/B
Fan–(3 Wire)–[ ]–— 3 pin--M/B

Rick
01-03-2003, 06:45 AM
IMHO
Doing the above rewiring job for a CPU cooling Fan ( running it slower) Is a Bad Idea
You risk a cpu melt down and or heat related problems.

Doing it to slow a HDD cooler is not as risky

In All Instances I prefer to Just Buy a slower fan

Delta 7200Rpm fan has a 54.5db rating and (50 cfm)
Delta 5200Rpm fan has a 39.5db rating and (30 cfm)

the 7200 sound like a vacuum cleaner
Running it at 5 Volts would also reduce the db but it would reduce the CFM to less than half of it’s rating

Nooyawkah
01-03-2003, 08:40 AM
Thanks, I'm actually beginning to understand this. This was only for a hdd cooler so I guess it isn't a critical change, and now it's pretty clear to me.

However, the part about the CPU fan interests me. On my cpu, sitting atop my trusty AlphaPal 8045 is a manually adjustable fan. I have the speed controller hanging a tad out of the rear of the case and a quarter turn, here and there, with a tiny phillips screw driver does the trick. Is it the reduction of voltage, as per your detailed explanation, that is not a good idea or does it extend to the speed control setup on my heatsink?

Rick
01-03-2003, 08:05 PM
I can’t say that running a 12 volt fan at 5 or 7 volts will hurt it.
I also cant say it will prolong the life of the fan.

I do Know that running them slower reduces the amount of air flow ( CFM) and that is what I/we install the fans for.
Move the air in around and out.

I see nothing wrong with a variable speed control on your H/S
if your system can handle it.
I’d go nuts having to adjust the fans on this thing every time it went up to 100% cpu usage

The 5400's are doing a good job keeping it under 54c

Nooyawkah
01-03-2003, 08:08 PM
So far the cpu has been running between 39 and 44 degrees and isn't breaking the old ear drums.

sleddog
01-04-2003, 02:50 AM
A 12v fan running with only 5v may also fail to start up. Shut your machine, then later boot it up again, and you can't be sure that that fan you've been playing with actually starts spinning. And because it will be very quiet running at 5v, it will be difficult to judge by sound.

Running 7v is a much better option. I've never heard of a 12v fan failing to start when supplied with 7v. I run my case fans (2) at 7v. They're wired to a toggled switch mounted on the front of the case, so I have a choice of running them 12v if I want. But I never do. Running them at 12v decreases the case temp by 1C over a period of an hour. Hardly worth all the extra noise.