PDA

View Full Version : credit card

Vic 970
01-02-2003, 04:52 PM
I remember a while ago seeing someone mention that their credit card co. changed their card monthly or so, for extra security online.

which credit card co. do that ? details please.

mjc
01-02-2003, 05:35 PM
Actually, I think all the major CC companies have some sort of program for online purchases (at least US ones).

Vic 970
01-02-2003, 06:43 PM
thanks mjc. have not seen mention of it on uk ones, but I'm looking at changing my CCCo. at the moment so I'll have to do some enq's.

Budfred
01-02-2003, 07:31 PM
My company has an online service that allows me to register and put in an amount with expiration date for a purchase. It generates a unique credit card number for that purchase and it expires whenever I set it for. Example: I want to buy $120 worth of stuff from Newegg so I get a credit card number for $140. I charge it with that number and the extra covers shipping or other expenses. If someone manages to hijack my number from Newegg or elsewhere, the max they can get is $140 and chances are good that it will be more like $5. They don't charge anything extra for this service. The company is MBNA and I don't know if they are available in the UK.

Budfred

YODA74
01-02-2003, 08:25 PM
I believe a lot of them offer a smart chip for online purchase's Amer.ex.- visa...etc..amer.ex. offers like what Budfred suggests plus you can set a PO# along with the card's # purchase and keep track of who is doing the purchase..{If it's like a multi-account,buisness set-up.}and you need records..

Paul Komski
01-02-2003, 10:04 PM
If you get an account with a company that is supported by an O-Card (from Orbiscom (http://www.orbiscom.com/partners/index.html)) then all on line purchases are given a unique card number (generated from an applet) for each transaction. Your normal account is debited in the normal manner.

Have been using one from AIB Bank for a year and a half - and for which the expiry date is the end of the following month. You can even create a virtual name and address for each payment. If the unique card number is hijacked then the only possible loss is the limit set when you generated the transaction; once the transaction has been used once, the number cannot be used again. The only thing I don't understand is why this hasn't been taken up by more banks and institutions.

He He: Irish Technology rules!! :D

Vic 970
01-03-2003, 04:48 PM
thanks for the info, and for the link. looks good & I'll go further into it over weekend.