PDA

View Full Version : Help! CPU at 67C

TruthIs1
01-11-2003, 11:19 PM
Hi, My computer has been crashing alot lately and I noticed that the area outside of my computer is warmer than usual. I checked the Cpu temp in the bios and it is 67C not F

I have a 3yr old Pollywell 830K7 with:
1100 AMD Athlon and 256mb Ram
not sure what kind of motherboard it has or how to check
there is only room for one fan plus the Cpu fan

Over the years I've added a sound card and a CD-RW drive, But I don't have that much computer experience. Any suggestions on what I should do next? Your input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kristen

Budfred
01-11-2003, 11:47 PM
Welcome to http://www.pcguide.com/ubb/pcgubb.gif

The first thing I will suggest is to avoid running the system until you can cool it down. You may be able to temporarily address the problem by removing the cover and running the computer that way. You can have a small fan blow into the computer if necessary to cool it down further.

Next thing I would do is clean out all the dust that may have accumulated since this can lead to higher temps. I would also check to make sure that all of the fans that you do have are running. If any aren't, you will need to replace them. The most important one is on the CPU.

If the fans are all working and the temp stays high after you clean out the computer, you may have to find a way to add another fan or get a different case. There are fans that can be installed in an expansion slot or a drive bay, although the amount of cooling they add is debatable. Let us know how it goes and you will get more suggestions.

Budfred

Whyzman
01-12-2003, 01:06 AM
Have you been under the hood of this 3 year old electric heater before? :rolleyes:

Be sure as you look for dust bunnies that you pay special attention to the heatsink fins and the area just under it. A can of compressed air with the usual narrow straw attachment should help tremendously to blow these areas clean.

If its gradually been getting hotter that's a good indication Budfred's steering you in the right direction.

TruthIs1
01-12-2003, 03:54 AM
Me again,
I cleaned out the dust with compressed air last week, but I think the problem is getting worse. The fans are running, but I guess they aren't fast enough. I have a few more questions:
The warmest spot is around the power supply. Is that normal?
When I buy a new fan is there a brand or web site I should keep in mind?

Thanks,
Kristen

Whyzman
01-12-2003, 04:16 AM
What are you using to monitor your temps? As mentioned, your CPU fan could be failing and not spinning up fast enough to dissipate the heat.

sleddog
01-12-2003, 07:30 AM
Or the contact between the heatsink and the CPU is bad. If the heatsink was put on with thermal tape this may be the problem. Remove the heatsink, clean it's surface and the surface of the CPU, apply a thin layer of heatsink compound, and re-attach.

And replace the CPU fan.

YODA74
01-12-2003, 08:09 AM
What are you using to monitor your temps?

Thats the question..are you sure that it is the processor and not the heat sink a hotter heatsink means better thermal conductivity between the CPU and the heatsink. The CPU itself will be cooler.

but the fans are not that expensive that would be my fist buy.. and reseat the processor with articsilver ... seems it's 3 years old it may be time It's like changing oil in your car the viscosity (thermal protection)just isn't there anymore.

Budfred
01-12-2003, 09:53 PM
If you are feeling a lot of heat around the power supply, it could also be an indication that the power supply is going bad. This is a tricky problem and you probably either need to be prepared to learn a whole lot about working inside the computer or you need to take it to someone to get it looked at.

Reseating the heatsink with a thermal compound is quite tricky so if you decide to do that, let us know so we can give you more detailed instructions for doing it. Even removing the heatsink to check can be tricky and then it leads to having to reseat it.

You can pick up computer fans at most big computer stores and there are lots of differences to look at. The main thing that most people look at are how much air (CFM=cubic feet per minute) does the fan move and how much noise does it make. Generally you are better off with ball bearing fans than with brush fans. You need to either take the fan you are replacing with you or measure it carefully in centimeters to make sure you are getting the right size.

If the power supply is failing, that is surprizingly easy to replace. There are some details to look at for that too, so post back if you decide to replace it.

Budfred

Fruss Tray Ted
01-12-2003, 10:44 PM
You got time to put my processor up on a lift and change the oil? Interesting point!

Budfred,

Generally you are better off with ball bearing fans than with brush fans.

Ball bearings have to do with what the spindle spins on as opposed to sleeve bearing fans. Brush fans have to do with direct connection versus inductance type armatures. They don't relate well if intermixed in description.

Budfred
01-12-2003, 10:50 PM
Oops,

I was thinking sleeve bearing fans and put brush fans instead. So the choice is ball bearing vs. sleeve bearing.

Thanks FTT,

Budfred

YODA74
01-12-2003, 10:57 PM
FTT..Remember the old commercial "trust your car to the man who wears the star" I think that was texaco miss the old gas stations and the service.Now you can't even put air in the tire without paying for it.. if you can find some place that has one that works..Let alone water for the radiator.:mad:

Whyzman
01-12-2003, 11:34 PM
Yeah, and carry around your own tire gauge! Remember when they used to have those wonderful air hoses with the gauges right in them...stop filling and they dispay the pressure? I guess folks were cutting the hoses and stealing them...:(

Fruss Tray Ted
01-13-2003, 12:11 AM
Some of these ole' muscle cars get rode hard and put away wet.

What I'm perceivin' to this here pictchur' is the processor expands and contracts over and over. Due to power ups and also heavy/light processor demands the physical size of the processor AND the heatsinc vary.

Somewhere down the road of the 'ancient' mating of the merely 2 or 3 year old CPU/heatsink, the repeated thermal expansion/contraction between the two has possibly made a void between the processor and the heatsink. This is more apt to happen if the thermal compound also loses it's viscosity and goes from an oil to more of a dry grease (in exagguration). The next boot up after the bubble or void forms underneath the H/S will notice immediately highr temps than just before.

People who maintain antique autos 'restore' them. That includes (or should, one would imagine) an occasional 'Grease' job ;) (No, not in your hair! :rolleyes: )

YODA74
01-13-2003, 05:48 AM
nope that is why i mentioned it I had one that sat around and about four years old went to tear it apart and half the coblty goop was gone "VOIDS" and was as hard as a rock no more stickyness..