PDA

View Full Version : spyware nuker

david eaton
01-14-2003, 05:55 PM
I don't know if anyone has heard of this program. I received a spam e-mail with a link to the site, and being inquisitive, I followed the link. (Yes I know!!) First thing that happens is an attempt to download and run a "loader" program! looks to me as if the program itself is actually spyware. No, nothing has been installed or downloaded, I left quickly at that point!

Anyone any experience of it?

David

YODA74
01-14-2003, 06:52 PM
license agreement. Here's a snippet of it: (quote)The program(s) may include added software and technology which allows "Trek Blue" to provide advertising content or so-called "value-added" applications which compliment or enhance the "Trek Blue" application(s). (end quote). Looks like spyware to me :eek:

mjc
01-14-2003, 07:27 PM
It *may* be an ok scanner, but their marketing tactics do leave a lot to be desired.

According to one of the developers, these tactics were supposed to have stopped by now. Especially the auto download.

David, please PM me on this.

Computer Deb
01-19-2003, 12:33 AM
I, too, have fallen for a similar virus.

I received an email from my former boss at my work email. It said that
"my boss" had sent me a greeting. I was a little surprised, because we weren't close, but clicked on the link ... it was "Friend Greeting" My office is networked and wouldn't allow me to down the message, so like a dumb S_ _ t, I actually sent it to my home email.

That night I opened the email and from then on had problems with both Explorer and IE. When I ran Dr. Watson (yes, Microsoft's Dr. Watson) it advised me to delete or unable something (I can't remember the line) and I did so and that worked.

I consider myself somewhat computer smart, but was obviously taken by this 'greeting' ... and then had problems with this email worm.

Budfred
01-19-2003, 02:28 AM
Computer Deb,

I know you ran Spybot recently from another thread, but you might want to run an online virus scan too to make sure you got all of the garbage out.

Budfred

Computer Deb
01-20-2003, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the advice ... I downloaded Spybot and ran locally. I do the virus scan too. Thanks!