PDA

View Full Version : ReInstall Windows XP

icehome
01-22-2003, 06:41 AM
I have juz formated my C: and reinstall my Windows XP, but I found that I have 2 copy of XP in my system. 1 in C: and the other in D: The system will prompt me and ask me which copy of windows i want to use whenever I reboot . It is veri fustrating ...

Any idea how i can remove the unwanted copy of XP ?

Pls Help .

Thnks !

slim
01-22-2003, 08:53 AM
Hi,

I assume you want to keep the copy of XP located on the c drive.

To remove the prompt for which OS to start you need to locate a file called "boot.ini", open it and it should look something like below.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

Before changing the file "boot.ini" it is best to create a backup copy.

You need to delete one of the entries under the section [operating systems] as highlighted above, but be warned deleting the wrong one can prevent the system from booting.

Once you are happy that the correct one has been deleted from the boot.ini, the quickest way to erase the associated files is by formating the d dirve through the computer managment console ("start-settings- control panel - administrative tools - computer management").

Hope this helps

Slim