PDA

View Full Version : reformat using win98 cd only

tomeh12
01-22-2003, 09:04 AM
Can anyone please tell me how to format my hard drive without using a boot floppy.
I have obtained a second hand system which has been set up to boot from the cd rom first, rather than the A: floppy drive.
I cannot change this order of booting in the Bios because it has been password protected (password unknown).
I understand it is possible to boot direct from win 98 cd and then format and install. No idea how to go about it though.
Idiot proof instructions would be welcome.

mjc
01-22-2003, 10:19 AM
In this case pulling the CMOS battery would probably be your best bet, because you will most likely need to get into the BIOS setup at some point in time.

But if you have the 98se CD just put it into the drive and boot, it should start up and give you the option to boot from the CD, boot to a command prompt or boot from the hard drive. Choose the command prompt, but pay attention , because the autexec file on the CD may set up a ramdrive. You should be able to run format c: form the prompt.

Budfred
01-22-2003, 10:39 AM
Welcome to http://www.pcguide.com/ubb/pcgubb.gif

To piggy back on what mjc said, if you clear the CMOS by removing the battery or by using the Clear CMOS jumper, you will reset the system and eliminate the password. I would urge you to do this regardless of how you load Windoze so that you will be able to accesst he BIOS as needed. To use the jumper, you need to find it on your motherboard (not all of them have it) and then just move the jumper from pins 1 and 2 over to 2 and 3, leave it about 30 seconds and then put it back. This should reset your BIOS to default and eliminate the password.

Budfred

tomeh12
01-22-2003, 02:12 PM
thanks u2 for advice.
Have now managed a format and install from cd.
I think I agree,itmight be a good idea to try and clear that password though.