01-22-2003, 10:20 AM
i have a old 486 computer that i want to install windows 3.1 or
95 on

the hard drive has been formated and all i can get to is the hard drives
and A drive

how do i load windows ?

mjc
01-22-2003, 11:31 AM
I take it you mean you don't have aaccess to a CD drive?

If you have Win3.1 on floppy, do you also have DOS 6.x?

You start by installing DOS first, from floppies, then follow with the Win3.1 install.

You can also make a custom boot disk with CD drivers on it, but if your CD is connected to your sound card you may not be able to aaccess it until you have DOS installed, because you will need some kind of sound card driver installed first.

You could grab a slower IDE/ATAPI CD drive and replace the one that is connected to the sound card (if that is the case), just hook it up as the second device on with the hard drive. Then you could use a standard boot disk with CD support.

Budfred
01-22-2003, 11:34 AM
If you have floppy disks to install Win3.1, you just put in the Disk 1 and type Setup at the A: prompt. Same thing if you have floppy disks for Win95. If you only have a CD install disk, you will need to install a CD drive or use an external.

One other option would be to take the hard drive out, copy the Windoze install files onto it on another computer and then reinstall it. Use a bootdisk to get to A: and run the install on the hard drive to install Windoze.

You can get a bootdisk here if you don't have one:

http://www.bootdisk.com/

Budfred