PDA

View Full Version : Internet Cache

Lucias_Clay
01-22-2003, 09:45 PM
Let me see if I have this correct. Temporary internet folder holds links(urls) to web sites you have visited, Internet Cache holds parts of the actuall web pages(Pics,banners and buttons) I thought there was a setting that kept windows from cacheing in fact I thought I had it set not to. Now al of a sudden system suite(my computer anti virus/firewall and maitinance program) is showing cached files which it didn't before.
Is there a way to stop windows from caching such files?

ski
01-23-2003, 11:49 AM
If you're using IE, then the following will not prevent files from being deposited in the Temporary Internet Files folder, but it will empty it every time you close the browser.
In your browser click on Tools/Internet Options/Advanced, scroll down to Security, check the box for 'Empty the Temporary Internet Files folder when the browser is closed', and click OK.

You can also try using the minimum allowable 1MB setting for the amount of HD space to be allotted for storing files in the TIF folder in Tools/Internet Options/General/TIF/Settings.
However, I ran into a problem with pictures not showing up at different sites with this setting. But it may work for you.

Lucias_Clay
01-24-2003, 08:49 PM
Thanks but I already have both of those options checked. Only have a few problems with pictures.

sleddog
01-24-2003, 09:04 PM
"Temporary Internet Files" means the same thing as "Internet Cache" or browser cache. it's just MicroSpeak. Your browser history holds a list of references (urls) to sites you have visited.

Windows doesn't cache files. Your web browser does; in your case I guess that is Internet Explorer. Why do you want it not to cache files? A browser cache is beneficial.