PDA

View Full Version : Static IP's

chad_bridge
01-22-2003, 11:23 PM
hey,

I have 3 computers on a home netowrk and we all share internet access through the router (Linksys BEFSR41). We all have norton personal firewall setup. and i was just wondering if you could tell me how to make the three computers ip addresses static. I want mine to be ***.***.*.100 the second one as ***.***.*.101 and the third as ***.***.*.103.

It makes it easier for file sharing and remote access to my machines.

thanks

chad

Steve
01-23-2003, 06:36 PM
Hi Chad,

I have a very similar setup. Your router will be assigned an address from your ISP. Your router will assign addresses to the various computers. Chance are they will be something like 19x.16x.1.xxx. With the X's being numbers, of course.

You can find your addresses by going to a command prompt and typing in ipconfig.

Hope that helps...:)

neb1211
01-25-2003, 12:05 PM
what os are you using

classicsoftware
01-25-2003, 07:59 PM
First you will have to disable DHCP in the router firmware. Where it is depends on the version of the firmware your router is using.

Second you will have to go the network properties for the TCP/IP bound to your ethernet adapter and choose specify an IP address. Put the IP address in and reboot and away you go....

huh?
01-27-2003, 06:59 PM
Wouldn't setting the TCP/IP setting to static IP's cause you not to see the router?

Ghost_Hacker
01-28-2003, 02:45 AM
Not if you do it right by following classicsoftware's and steve's instructions. :)

First find the IP addresses assigned by the DHCP server ,then disable DHCP and assign the address information by hand. (This includes not only the IP address but also the default gateway, subnet mask and any DNS server addresses that might have been assigned by the DHCP server.)

Of course, you can always "build" your own subnet addresses by configuring your router and all workstations by hand.