PDA

View Full Version : windows xp home shutdown box

flingz
01-23-2003, 08:56 PM
Hi,
I am running windows xp home and when i used to hit shutdown this box would pop up
http://windows.zdnet.it/recensioni/xpgifs/shutdown.gif

now when i hit shut down i have this box that pops up with a pull down menu asking me what i want to do.....how do i get back to the first one? does anyone know?

and my other question is that when i log in now i also have this box saying i have to put a password in, and it has owner under user name typed in and i just hit ok and dont have to put a password in...
this is what mine looks like except under username mine says owner and there is no password needed. How do I get rid of this?
http://www.rose-hulman.edu/TSC/img/localmgrlogin.jpg

Thanks for help on either/and/or both of these questions:D

ski
01-24-2003, 10:50 AM
Try running 'System Restore' to get back the shutdown box.
Note that you will have to reinstall all programs and redo all configurations which were done after the date of the restore that you select.

Try these to eliminate the logon window:

(1)Select Run from the Start Menu, type 'control userpasswords2' (without the '), click OK, turn off the 'Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer' option, and click Ok.

(2)If you have one user account and no password configured, Windows XP will log you in automatically.
Otherwise, you'll have to do the following:

Obtain and install the Windows XP version of TweakUI.
Open TweakUI (it's in Start -> Programs -> Powertoys for Windows XP), expand the Logon branch, click Autologon, turn on the 'Log on automatically at system startup' option, type your username and password, and click Ok.

jabarnutcase
01-24-2003, 06:39 PM
Hi flingz-

Unless I'm mistaken, this problem is easily solved through your control panel.

In "user accounts", there are options for changing "the way users log on and off", and also options within the administrators acount.

flingz
01-25-2003, 03:50 PM
ok i got the logon box turned off by typing control userpasswords2 in the run box, and now i just have the box to log off that i cant switch back, i dont wanna restore my whole pc just to get this done....and another thing i noticed is wrong when i hit ctr+alt+del this WINDOWS SECURITY box comes up that allows me to bring up taskmanager, lock computer, logoff, shutdown, or change password?? why doesnt it just go to task manager? thanks again