PDA

View Full Version : why do i always get MSN on a search??

aristorias
01-24-2003, 02:02 AM
recently when searching from the address bar on internet explorer I am always sent to the MSN homepage, yet MSN is NOT set as my homepage. Any ideas why this is so?

mjc
01-24-2003, 03:07 AM
Because it is now the default search page......

aristorias
01-24-2003, 03:06 PM
Thanks for your interest, but when I try to change the home page using internet options, it still shows my expected home page in the box, not MSN. It is driving me nuts.

ErnieK
01-24-2003, 03:47 PM
Aristoris
My way round this is to have a link to Google as the first link in my favourites. when I need to do search I just click on that. I have never been able to find another way around this irritation

Budfred
01-24-2003, 04:06 PM
Welcome to http://www.pcguide.com/ubb/pcgubb.gif

The point is that this is the way MS sets it up and there doesn't seem to be a way to change it. I use IE at work (because I have no choice) and it will always go to MSN if I click on Search. There may be a way to change it, but I haven't cared enough to look. I do what ErnieK does and keep a Google link handy so I can use it. If you have a choice, you can use a different browser that will let you determine your own choice. I believe Netscape, Mozilla and Opera all have this option. You could also set Google, or whatever your preferred search engine is, as your homepage and then click on Home to go there. You would have to give up your current homepage to do that of course.

Budfred

Budfred
01-24-2003, 04:42 PM
I have been playing around with the IE Search options. If your search is set to come up on the side of your main window, it has a button that says "Customize" on it. If you click on this, it will give you a limited choice of options for what engine to use for searchs. I just set mine for Alta Vista (not much better) and it worked. Under the Advanced options it has someway to use Google, but I haven't figured out how that applies yet. I'll let you know if I find out more.

Budfred

Edit:

I found out what the deal is with the Advanced option. I typed a word in the Address line and hit Enter and it went to a Google search for that word. Now that I like....

Budfred again

and again:

I just reread your first post and I think this Advanced option is what you want to change where you go for a search from the Address bar...

Budfred

Jhorner1
01-24-2003, 05:19 PM
A simple workaround if you just want to use google would be to install the google toolbar, and search from it.I use it all the time, works very well.From the google home page, click service and tools, then scroll to toolbar.

drdan
01-24-2003, 06:29 PM
I've noticed a lot of people don't like to use MSN search. I like it the best and almost always end up with better info than from google. I like the format better too. What's the downside of MSN search (other than the inane "news" stuff on the homepage).

Budfred
01-24-2003, 07:13 PM
I have consistently gotten better results with Google and I don't like having my programs tell me how to do anything, those are my main objections to using MSN Search. Beyond that, I am a stubborn old cuss....:D

Budfred

drdan
01-24-2003, 09:09 PM
What do you mean by "telling you how to do something"? I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

Mark Miller
01-24-2003, 09:23 PM
I do it the same way as Budfred and it works . Even though might open in msn page. If you click empty search bar all your requests come up [until you clear them under options] the point is when you go then to Google and click the empty search bar the same things come up. I guess? this means that google is now doing the search from your home search. I hope this is clear.
Mark

Budfred
01-24-2003, 09:23 PM
What I mean is that more and more MS and many other programs install things in places and ways that I don't ask for so that I have to go in and change them right after I install or uninstall them. MS seems to be the lead in doing this so that you can't really ininstall IE and you get all sorts of things installed with Windoze whether you want them or not. You can use alternate programs, but you can't get rid of their's. So I work around what I can and keep looking for more ways to control my own computer.

Budfred

mjc
01-24-2003, 11:48 PM
Just because some marketing dept bean counter at MS thinks their stuff is the best thing since sliced bread and that everyone is happy to use it, doesn't make it true.

There are many people that think the same way Budfred does, I want to set up things on my computer the way I want, B Gates can set them up on his own computer however he pleases.

Sorry, but I see MS has a bad case of Borg.