PDA

View Full Version : unwanted icon on desktop

cliff
01-25-2003, 01:22 AM
I do not know how I ended up with this, but I have a little square right in the center of my monitor when I am on My win 98 desktop. I can not seem to figure out how to get rid of it. I double click on it but nothing happens or is activated. It is bluish in color and I kinda think that it is a remnant of an old icon, (i really am not even sure). What would be a good starting point in investigating this and getting rid of it?

Budfred
01-25-2003, 02:11 AM
Does it return when you reboot? Does it return when you change your background/wallpaper? Have you tried right clicking on it? Can you move it? Did you recently install any new software or hardware before it started appearing?

Lots of questions, but may lead to answers.

Budfred

cliff
01-25-2003, 03:38 AM
thanks for the pointers. I went to Contol panel, Display, Background. On the lower left of that page, I choose a picture to display as wallpaper. On the lower right of the page, there are options under Display (center, tile stretch). I had chosen the option center, therefore displaying the wallpaper pic as a single small dot in the center of the screen. I have changed that setting to tile and the image is duplicated to fill up the entire desktop. I guess I can say i now know the reason for the mystery center of the screen dot.
thanks

Whyzman
01-25-2003, 04:46 AM
Are you aware that you can use just about any image you want for your
Desktop wallpaper?

Here's some help in the process:

http://www.guidetogeekdom.com/lesson.html