PDA

View Full Version : XP Error Message

Nooyawkah
01-25-2003, 10:15 AM
What does this message mean and how can I fix it? Every so often (not all the time), when I start up the computer I get he following:

WINDOWS FILE PROTECTION
Files thgat are requested for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognized versions. To maintain system stability, Windows must restore the original version of that file. Insert your Windows XP Home Ed. CD now.

The choices are Retry, More Info and Cancel. When I insert the disk either nothing happens or the disk opens and I don't know what to so. Advice appreciated.

YODA74
01-25-2003, 10:25 AM
Go to Start > Run, and type: SFC /SCANNOW and hit "enter" . This is XP's System File Checker utility and it will scan for missing/corrupt system files and replace them with the originals. Have your XP CD handy because you will be prompted to insert it in the CD drive.

Afterward, Go to Start > Run, and type: CHKDSK /F /R and hit "enter" and reboot.

Nooyawkah
01-25-2003, 12:02 PM
Yoda, sorry, won't work. It says: "windows cannot find sfc/scannow. Make sure you typed the name correctly, etc."

j_sayles
01-25-2003, 12:12 PM
try putting a space after SFC

YODA74
01-25-2003, 12:15 PM
hmmmm did you type it in correctly?

SFC_/SCANNOW replace the underscore with a space

Nooyawkah
01-25-2003, 04:30 PM
You're right, I missed the space the 1st time. When I opened the program I received the same message. However, now the disk seemed to work. It took qite a while to run chkdisk but so far, so good. Thanks much.