PDA

View Full Version : win xp pro

Jiggy
01-25-2003, 11:33 AM
768mb of ram

What are the pros and cons of using and not using the page file on XP Pro??

jabarnutcase
01-25-2003, 02:20 PM
Hi Jiggy-
By most accounts, it's not a good idea to disable your paging file as some programs may use it regardless of the amount of Ram you have.

Others suggest making the Min. and Max. allocated the same, the size depending on the amount of ram you have.

But you know what? I too have XP-Pro and 768MB of Ram, and after much experimenting I really never noticed a difference.
I just let Windows manage it now and don't worry about it anymore! ;)

Hang on though, no doubt other opinions will be comming along. :rolleyes: :D

Paul Komski
01-25-2003, 07:17 PM
There are no absolute right or wrong answers as to how you manage a page file on a modern pc with a lot of RAM because we all use different applications in different combinations. Having one can marginally slow a modern pc down and is required if you are high tech enough to know how to and want to be able to debug a dump file in the event of a RAM dump.

The best advice is to monitor its use over a period of time and only then decide whether to keep one and what settings to give to it.

Keeping max = min inhibits defragmenting the drive on which the file resides and stops the OS from having to decide whether to enlarge it or not; one less operation for it to complete.

It may be wisest to go along with M$ and have one with at least the minimum of 2+ megabytes rather than having none at all. If you have two hard drives and want a page file, it is best to split it; with the minimum amount on the boot drive and the remainder on a partition on the other drive. If the page file is accessed, the one on the other drive is used preferentially and this reduces wear and tear on the HDD heads and marginally speeds the operations.

;)

hawk7771us
01-26-2003, 01:44 AM
i keep 25 mgs pagefile with xp pro with 1024 ram tried it with 0 and found nothing different. excecpt more hard drive space