PDA

View Full Version : Uninstalling Windows

Max Power
01-26-2003, 01:50 AM
I have a laptop that is dual booted with Win98 and Win2kpro. I rarely use win98 anymore and could use the disk space. What's the easiest way to uninstall Win98, but leave Win2kpro intact?

Budfred
01-26-2003, 02:00 AM
I would back up whatever files you want from the Win98 partition on the Win2K partition, then reformat the Win98 partition. If it is on C:, you may want to use partition software, like Ranish, and either blend it with your Win2K partition, then defragment or move the Win2K install to the C: partition.

Of course the easiest way would be to backup the whole hard drive and delete the current partitions, set the new partitions you want and install Win2K clean.

Budfred

Paul Komski
01-26-2003, 07:46 PM
Are the two OSes on the same or separate partitions? If on separate partitions are they adjacent to one another?

If on the same partition then just delete the windows folder and then edit the boot.ini file to remove the reference to Win98 under operating systems.

Note that simply formatting C: will also delete the ntldr, ntdetect.com and boot.ini files from the root folder. To simply reclaim the space on C: boot into Win2K and delete everything on C: except these three files and then edit the boot.ini file as above.

Note: these boot-loaders are probably hidden/system/read-only files, so take the appropriate measures to view and edit.

You can also edit boot.ini by right-clicking on MyComputer and from Properties<>Advanced and click on the Startup and Recovery button; edit the values shown there to point to Win2K, with a minimal time-out. You will have to edit the files manually to remove the line referencing Win98 though. Once there is only one operating system listed, the time-out is ignored.

If Win2K was an upgrade and not a true dual boot you can remove Win98 from Add/Remove.

Max Power
01-27-2003, 11:59 AM
Thanks for the input guys

The OS's are on the same partitiion.
I think I tried what Paul suggested in the past on another PC and that worked.
I was just curious if there wasnt an uninstall.exe or something similar for Win98?