PDA

View Full Version : Help. Damn virus

funhousegroup
01-27-2003, 01:56 AM
Norton is telling me that I have the w32nimda.e@mm virus but it cant repair it so it denied access to the files. I keep getting these alerts . When I went to the norton web site and got and ran the repair tool that is givenl, nothing happened. I ran the tool several times as instructed but each time the tool did not find the virus.
Anybody know how to deal with this.
Peace, Funhouse

YODA74
01-27-2003, 08:05 AM
lets see here did this come in an EMail if so did you put it into Quarenteen if so delete it.. also what windows are you running if me or xp you must deactivate system restore before running the removal tool..

and did you do exactly as stated in this procedure?
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.nimda.a@mm.removal.tool.html

If all else fails (as a last resort) you will have to wipe the drive and start all over nimda has a lot of extra crap that proceeds it

funhousegroup
01-27-2003, 12:17 PM
Yeah I am in the proccess of running the tool for the 5th time as it instructs . Hope this works cause I have a bunch of fiiles that need saving.
Thanks, Mike

YODA74
01-27-2003, 12:23 PM
mike if it isn't picking it up with the tool have you tried a different AV just to make sure that Norton hasn't been infected??

I would run a couple of free on line checks just to be sure..

pentachris
01-28-2003, 04:28 PM
Are you sure that "it cant repair it so it denied access to the files" and not "it can't access the files so it can't repair it?" If another program is using the files, NAV may not be able to access them. Try shutting down all programs, leaving only systray and explorer in your task list, or even booting into safe mode before trying to heal the virus.

classicsoftware
01-29-2003, 04:37 AM
DONT USE THE TOOL!!!

Download the instructions for manually removing the worm

Click here & scroll down to get instructions (http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.nimda.a@mm.html)

After removal, you should run SFC to repair damaged files.

Run the removal tool

shut down& run it again.