PDA

View Full Version : How to format under XP?

Baker_God
01-27-2003, 09:17 AM
I have Windows XP Home Edition and I cannot figure out how to format the harddrive. I need to delete everything and do a clean install, but i just keep bing lead around in circles by windows help guide. Please help me.

setoguro
01-27-2003, 09:57 AM
One way would be to use the HDD utilities to reformat or zero out the drive. You can always get them at the HDD manufactures web site.

YODA74
01-27-2003, 09:59 AM
http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm
step by step W / pictures

James Bond 007
01-27-2003, 09:59 AM
Most problems can be cured by just reinstalling Windows.or by leaveing a post what the problem is.Be sure to backup anything you may need.From the dos prompt type C:\ format C: then pres the enter key.If you encounter problems Installing Windows, leave a post by useing your public librarys computer (most have computers and Internet access) or by useing a friends computer.

Steve
01-27-2003, 04:03 PM
Hi Baker God,

It's pretty easy. Pop your Windows XP disk in the CD ROM drive and wait for the installation menu to come up.

Choose "Install Windows XP" then it will go to a new screen that lists a bunch of steps. From the pulldown menu choose "New Installation (Advanced)" and let the software do the rest.

It will format your hard drive and put a fresh copy of Windows XP on the system. :)

Elroy
01-28-2003, 02:03 AM
Hi,

My method probably isn't in the manual, but it works without fail.

Removing XP for a clean install.

1. Get a Win 98 boot disk on a floppy (go to bootdisk.com if you need one)
2. Make sure your system boots to whatever drive (floppy) you place the 98 boot disk in
3. bootup system to WIN98
4. Using the DOS command FDISK to delete the primary partition on the hard drive.

Viola! :D the existing XP install is history...

Don't worry about creating new partitions etc...Place the XP install CD, reboot, and you should be starting fresh...

-E