PDA

View Full Version : HELP loading OS on new build!

juice4zack
01-27-2003, 10:05 PM
This is a new problem from a previous problem(that you guys helped solve THANKS!!!) But since its a new problem I thought Id start a new thread.

I can not get Windows 98SE to load. Ive formatted and partioned my HDD (I only used 1 partion??) it is set to active.

Then when I boot w/startup disk and Win98 cd in I choose option 1 start with CD-ROM support and at the a:\> prompt I type "setup " and get "Bad command or file name"

I also tried changing to E: and typing "cd win98" and I get "Invalid directory "

I also tried a suggestion from sea1_69 that I read on here to copy the win98 cd this is what I did
at A:\>c:
C:\>md win98
C:\>cd e:\win98

Invalid directory

I also tried at the E:\> prompt I typed "setup

got "Bad command or file name "

When I read other threads it seems so simple I must be forgetting some small detail.

ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED! THANKS!!!!

Budfred
01-27-2003, 10:13 PM
It may not be E: I would try D: and maybe F:

When you boot with CD support, it usually tells you what your CD drive is right before it gives you the A: prompt. Look for this and use it. Make sure you have the Windoze install CD in the CD drive of course. Until you find the CD drive, you won't be able to do anything with the Setup or copying Windoze to the C: drive.

Budfred

juice4zack
01-27-2003, 10:18 PM
I tried almost all of the stuff with D: also when I tried f: it said something like "Invalid drive"

Im pretty sure it is E: I think I remember seeing something like E: - MSDC00001 or similiar.

I just don't understand.

Budfred
01-27-2003, 10:21 PM
Have you tried running E:>dir/w to see what is on there?

Budfred

juice4zack
01-28-2003, 09:09 AM
Thanks Bud

When I get home after work I'll give it a shot.

But, when I run E:dir/w what should I be looking for:confused: ? or what might I find??

Is there a certain file I should be looking for??

Thanks

Budfred
01-28-2003, 10:42 AM
If it is the Windows CD, you will see the Windows files. If it isn't, you will find out and know that either your CD isn't mounting or you are looking at the wrong drive to try to copy and/or run Setup from.

Budfred

ski
01-28-2003, 11:19 AM
Insert the Win boot disk(DO NOT insert the Windows installation CD),
select 'Start with CD-ROM support', and press Enter.
If your CD-ROM drive is recognized by the DOS drivers on the boot disk then the CD-ROM drive's assigned letter will appear on the screen.
Then, at the A:\> prompt type X:\setup (where X is the CD-ROM drive's assigned letter), insert the Windows CD, and press Enter.

If your CD-ROM drive is not recognized in DOS and an assigned letter does not appear on the screen, then the boot disk does not have the correct DOS drivers for it.

Jason1971
01-28-2003, 11:34 AM
Hey Juice4zack, if you don't have the right boot disk like Ski was saying just pm me with you email and I will send it to you as an attachment using Win-Zip. It's only about 6 or 700KB
Jason

Budfred
01-28-2003, 12:18 PM
Or you can download just about any bootdisk you might need from www.bootdisk.com

Budfred

Sylvander
01-29-2003, 10:06 AM
When you boot from a Windows 98 Startup Disk "with CD-ROM support" a RAMdrive will be created which uses one drive letter [which comes after the HDD('s)].

1. The "Active Primary Partition" on the "Primary Master" HDD is given C:

If there had been another physical HDD and each drive had an extended partition [from the primary partition], then they would have been named in the following order:
a. Primary Partition on the Master HDD.
b. Primary Partition on the Slave HDD.
c. Logical Partitions within the Extended Partition on the Master HDD.
d. Logical Partitions within the Extended Partition on the Slave HDD.

You are saying that you have one physical drive with one partition on it therefore no further letters are given to YOUR HDD.

2. The RAMdrive would be given D:

3. The CD-Drive with the jumper set at Master is given E:

4. If you had a CD-Drive jumpered as Slave it would have been given F:

5. So A:\>E:\setup is what you should be looking at before you blip [enter].
If you only have one CD-Drive you don't have the added complication that you have put the CD in the OTHER drive [F:] and of course DOS fails to see any "setup" file on a disk in the E: drive because
THERE IS NO DISK IN THE E: DRIVE.

juice4zack
01-30-2003, 09:58 AM
Well I tried a few things

When I boot it says "Vritual RAMdrive D: " then

"CDrom Drive E: - MSDC00001 "

at the A:\> prompt I type "E:\setup " and I get

Bad command or file name

Then I also did a previous suggestion from Budfred
I changed to the E:\ prompt and typed "dir " and also typed (at different times) "dir /w " and got the following on both commands

WIN 98 I

0 file(s) 0 bytes
1 dir(s) 0 bytes free

I think I might have a bad Windows 98 CD due to the fact that no files come up when I do a "dir" at the E: prompt

Any suggestions

ski
01-30-2003, 10:23 AM
You are typing the commands(E:\setup, dir, etc.) without the quotation marks(") right?

If so, then insert a few other CD's, and type the dir command.
If these work, then your Win 98 CD is bad.

If the other CD's also do not work, then your CD-ROM drive may be bad.
But first check that its cables are securely and properly connected.
If that's ok, then connect it to a different power lead.
If no good, then install a different IDE cable.
If still no good, then try a different CD-ROM drive.

juice4zack
01-30-2003, 10:24 AM
Well I tried a few things

When I boot it says "Vritual RAMdrive D: " then

"CDrom Drive E: - MSDC00001 "

at the A:\> prompt I type "E:\setup " and I get

Bad command or file name

Then I also did a previous suggestion from Budfred
I changed to the E:\ prompt and typed "dir " and also typed (at different times) "dir /w " and got the following on both commands

WIN 98 I

0 file(s) 0 bytes
1 dir(s) 0 bytes free

I think I might have a bad Windows 98 CD due to the fact that no files come up when I do a "dir" at the E: prompt

Any suggestions

Sylvander
01-30-2003, 11:27 AM
OK juice4zack,

I had to go try this out and dig out my sheet of DOS commands.
The following worked for me.

1. Be sure to select “With CD-ROM Support” during the Startup Disk boot procedure.

2. A:\>dir E: /p [displays all the folders on drive E: one page at a time].
Or A:\>dir E: /w /p [displays all folders on drive E: five columns wide & one page at a time].
Use one of these to find the name of the folder which you think holds the Windows “Setup.exe” file.
Be sure to type a single space [after the preceding character and] before E: & /w & /p.

2. A:\>dir E:\[folder name] /w /p [displays sub-folders and files five columns wide & one page at a time].
The setup.exe file should be among them.
If it is, you now know its location and therefore the pathway to it.
Be sure to type a single space [after the preceding character and] before E: & /w & /p.

3. A:\>E:\[folder name]\setup [runs “setup.exe”][no space before the E: here]

Budfred
01-30-2003, 02:55 PM
As Sylvander is indicating, pay close attention to how you type the commands. The way you are reporting that you typed the commands look like they contain errors and this might account for why they are not working. The spaces, back slash, forward slash, and so on are all important and the command will not work if they are not typed properly. On the other upper or lower case don't matter....

Budfred

juice4zack
01-31-2003, 11:07 PM
well I tried your suggestions from some of you and when I put in other CDs in and type dir at the e: prompt I get a big ol list of files associated with that CD.

When I typed e:dir /w /p with my WIN98 cd i still get

0 files 0 bytes
1 dir 0 bytes free

I get that response no matter what combo of dir, dir /w, dir /w /p i type.

So Im pretty sure its a bad WIN98 CD.

Im just going to buy a brand new Windows XP home edition full version and install it on my new system I am building and I imagine this will work.

I will post back after I do this,it maybe a little while (I don't have that money tree no more!!!).

Thanks to all of you guys for all your help!!!!!

Budfred
01-31-2003, 11:11 PM
If you have access to another computer, check that disk out in another CD drive. It is unusual for a CD to go bad unless there is visible damage. It isn't bootleg by any chance is it?

Budfred

Bluezmanxtc
02-01-2003, 10:53 PM
at A: prompt type E: then enter

at E: prompt type setup then enter

this will work have used it hundreds of times