PDA

View Full Version : System Fonts Corrupted

Fat Dragon
01-28-2003, 12:43 AM
The drop-down box arrow, minimize/maxmize/close buttons on the top-right coner of every windows and the check boxes and radial buttons are all corrupted. Even the scroll bar arrows are also corrupted.

I've tried to restore the 8514sys.fon, 8514fix.fon and 8514oem.fon using sfc but the situation remains the same.

I'm using Chinese Win98 SE with 256M RAM and Creative River TNT. The system was running fine for a long time and lately had some problem with true-type fonts. After playing with the TTF, I fixed the TTF problem but created this system font problem.

Does anyone has any idea what went wrong?

Thanks!

:confused:

Budfred
01-28-2003, 01:16 AM
Welcome to http://www.pcguide.com/ubb/pcgubb.gif

Whenever something like that happens, the first thing I would do is check for virus, spyware and trojan invaders. They will often cause weird effects in things like fonts and other settings. You can download scanning programs and find online scans through mjc's security thread here:

http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15179

The only other option that occurs to me is to uninstall and reinstall.

Budfred

Fat Dragon
01-28-2003, 04:36 AM
Sorry Budfred, I forgot to say that I've already used Norton Antivirus (with latest virus definition) to scan my computer and no virus was found.

Thanks!

Budfred
01-28-2003, 11:37 AM
Unfortunately, Norton will not check for spyware and some trojans. The problem you are having sounds like one that might be caused by sloppy spyware, so I would run Spybot or another spyware scanner to be sure.

Budfred

david eaton
01-28-2003, 03:42 PM
Fat Dragon

As far as I remember, the symbols in the corner of windows are from the Marlett TT font. After doing a scan for spyware/trojans etc as Budfred said, I suggest that you try a restore of the Marlett files.

David

Fat Dragon
03-15-2003, 06:30 PM
The problem was solved after re-installing the Marlett TT fonts.

Thanks to all your help!!

Best regards,

Fat Dragon