PDA

View Full Version : Windows 2000 event log error

slim
01-29-2003, 06:08 AM
Hi,

Does anyone know what could be causing the following error in my windows 2000 event log. I assume is it related to netowork connectivity, but it always seems to happen around the same time each day 18:00 hours.

Event Id: 64
Source: W32time

Because of repeated network problems, the time service has not been able to find a domain controller to synchronize with for a long time. To reduce network traffic, the time service will wait 960 minutes before trying again. No synchronization will take place during this interval, even if network connectivity is restored. Accumulated time errors may cause certain network operations to fail. To tell the time service that network connectivity has been restored and that it should resynchronize, execute "w32tm /s" from the command line.

Any Suggestions would be appreciated.

Slim

Ghost_Hacker
01-29-2003, 10:12 AM
I have seen this error before. Windows 2000 workstations won't be allowed to login to a domain if their "time" is too far out of sync with the time on the domain controllers.

I have always just turned off the "time service" on the workstation and relied on setting the clock correctly by hand the first time it comes online.

You might also check the domain controller's event viewer for errors and that their isn't a problem with it's time service. DNS errors can also cause a workstation to be unable to find a domain controller, so you'll want to check there as well.

Also this post has some interesting things you'll also want to check.

w32time error posting (http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&threadm=e%23KDd%23KcCHA.2120%40tkmsftngp10&rnum=3&prev=/groups%3Fhl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26q%3D64%2B%2Bw32time)

Good Luck :)

slim
01-29-2003, 10:49 AM
Thanks Ghosthacker.

The domain server was 24 minutes :eek: (THATS RIGHT 24 Minutes) :eek: out of sync, so that would explain the error message. I have also turned of the "time service" in the services list.

Now to investigate why the domain server is losing time.

Thanks for the help.

Slim :) :)