PDA

View Full Version : IE and in-line graphics

ErnieK
01-29-2003, 03:14 PM
Think I have labeled this wrong. But what the heck - why change the habits of a lifetime :D

Problem as follows:

I am re-writing my website (using HTML - or at least trying to, and it is still stored on my computer - not uploaded)

I have small thumbnail graphics in some pages with links to larger versions of the pictures. In IE when I click on the links to open the larger files it tries to download the files instead of opening them on screen. I have 4 other browsers installed for checking the site as I go along. In all of them the links open to the large graphics OK. In my existing uploaded site the links open as they should in IE.

I have compaired the HTML coding in both, and they are identical (except for the actual file) as far as I can see.
Below is a copy of one of the link coding.

(&)p align ="center" (&)(&) a hxxf="../picts/7_fourth_day.jpg"(&)(&)img src="../picts/7_fourth_day.jpg" border ="0" width="67" height="50"(&)<br>
Beginning to settle in(&)/a(&)
Anybody any ideas what I am/ IE is doing wrong?

I have taken out the opening and closing brackets as follows
and replace them with (&) to enable me to post the coding

(hope I have made my self clear enough)

david eaton
01-29-2003, 04:50 PM
Ernie. Your code looks OK as far as it goes, BUT I think you have missed out a bit.

Try it like this: -
&ltp align ="center" &gt&lt a hxxf="../picts/7_fourth_day.jpg"&gt&ltimg src="../picts/7_fourth_day.jpg" border ="0" width="67" height="50"&gt&lt/a&gt
(to show the brackets in a post, use the codes &_lt and &_gt (without the underscores) for opening and closing brackets.)

Assuming that a hxxf is edited a href it should work OK.

David

david eaton
01-30-2003, 02:41 PM
Ernie.

Something else I just noticed. You are using the same file for the image and the thumbnail by making IE resize the image. Much better to make a smaller copy of the original, at the size you want for a thumbnail and save it as a different name. This makes less work for the browser, and allow the page to display more quickly.(important to those of us still on dialup!).
Then you code would look like this: -
&ltp align ="center" &gt&lt a hxxf="../picts/7_fourth_day.jpg"&gt&ltimg src="../picts/7_fourth_daythm.jpg" border ="0" width="67" height="50"&gt&lt/a&gt

David

ErnieK
01-30-2003, 03:02 PM
Thanks David

I will TRY and make smaller/larger versions of the photos, and thanks for showing me how to post an href.

To get it to show the way I did I had to edit about 4-5 times. Still I am at last learning how to write the code. My next thing will be to try and make it look good with frames etc. Does anybody else fantasise like me?:D

david eaton
01-30-2003, 04:24 PM
Ernie That's the way I (partly) learned HTML too! :D
What are you using to write the code? I found that using notepad, and having the browser window open as well, a quick save in Notepad, and a refresh in the browser showed what I was doing wrong a LOT quicker and easier than a fancy WYSIWYG editor.

For image resizing etc. IMHO you can't beat Paint Shop Pro.

Good luck with it!

ErnieK
01-31-2003, 01:45 PM
Hi David
I am using "Maricopa" Lessons to try and teach myself. (See their link below) Even though I have difficulty in absorbing the written word, I find their instructions reasonably easy to follow. I would STRONGLY reccommend them to any one wanting to learn to write HTML.

Like you I use notepad (windows basic one) and have browser open just like you. After doing a bit I then check out in other browsers. It can be surprising the differences that can show.

I have copy of PSP somewhere, I will dig it out and see what it is like. At present I use Serif Photo Plus. I was told that it was easy to use, and bginner friendly. It definately is not the easiest program to try and learn, especially for people like myself. It has just been stubborness that has stopped me looking at anything else.

www.mcli.dist.maricopa.edu/tut/lessons.html

david eaton
01-31-2003, 02:42 PM
Ernie. I think you will find that PSP is a lot easier to use for your purposes than Photo Plus. Resizing an image is a matter of about 3 clicks of a mouse, and typing in the new size. I am still finding out what it will do (after about 3 years! :D ), but for straightforward editing, I don't think it can be beat.

I agree with iyour comment about different browsers, and how they display pages, but if you write HTML to the standards, if it looks wrong, then it's the browser, not you.

Incidentally, have you ever come across a little program called browsersizer? It automatically resizes you browser to whatever screen resolution you select so you can check how your page looks at 640*480 etc. Amazing some times. I had a beautiful looking page on screen then I resizes the window and URGHHHH! Rewrite time.

David

ErnieK
02-01-2003, 07:25 AM
David
No I have never heard of "Browsersizer" Where is it available? The version PSP that I have is ver5. I will be installing it today to have a look at it.

david eaton
02-01-2003, 09:31 AM
Ernie. Forgot to post the link!:eek: Here it is: -http://www.applythis.com/browsersizer/
Useful little thing.

David

sleddog
02-01-2003, 05:56 PM
To post HTML code in this forum you can use the PHP tags [ php ] and [ /php ] (but without the extra spaces I put inside the brackets):

<HTML>
<BODY>
<H1>Hello World</H1>
<P>How are you?</P>
</BODY>
</HTML>

david eaton
02-02-2003, 07:37 AM
Sleddog. Thanks for that! Saves looking up the character codes.

David

ErnieK
02-02-2003, 07:53 AM
Thanks David.
Have downloaded the file and will check it out later.

Sleddog
Thanks for the info.