PDA

View Full Version : scandisk crashes

Vic 970
01-29-2003, 05:27 PM
I ran scandisk & defrag on each of my partitions C,D,E,F,G,H,I
but then a couple of hours later the system crashed. I re booted, & tried to scan the partitions again. each time I tried to scan 'C' (with windows on it) it crashed when it got to about 98%. all the others scanned ok.
I did scangeg /restore but that didn't help. I tried to restore a bakp (from 3 days ago.) but it wouldn't restore (maybe not related.)

any ideas appreciated.

Whyzman
01-29-2003, 07:14 PM
Which OS are you using Vic?

Did you perform the tasks in SAFEMODE?

Here's some pretty interesting reading:

http://www.toejumper.net/maintain4/scan4.htm

Vic 970
01-30-2003, 06:06 PM
w98se
thanks for the link, I have tried doing a thorough scan in safe mode, with the options set as suggested in the link, I let it run for a while, (about 90 mins.) upon my return it reported "scandisk has restarted 10 times due to background programs running."

this seems to be the big prob here, I have had trouble for a while with processor running at about 80% for no apparent reason. I have been checking things out but nothing seems amiss.

Don't really want to do a re-install, at least until I have found out the cause.

Budfred
01-30-2003, 09:41 PM
I remember your thread about the computer running the CPU heavily, but I thought you had figured that out. The computer running background programs in safe mode is really bizarre. The whole point of safe mode is that you are supposed to get a barebones boot. This sounds more and more suspicious to me.

Is this a single OS system? Do you have a cable or DSL connection that is always on or are you networked? I don't get how you can have background stuff that isn't identified with all the investigating you did and shut down in Safe Mode.

How about running ScanDisk in DOS?

Budfred

Whyzman
01-30-2003, 11:43 PM
Does ScreenSaver run in SAFEMODE? Did you turn it off prior to running?

Safemode loads a minimal set of drivers...but I'm not sure about how it handles background programs...??? Oh, mjc....;)

Matt
01-31-2003, 12:05 AM
Isn't there an interactive start-up mode that gives you control over what is loaded and what is not at bootup?

mjc
01-31-2003, 12:14 AM
Yes, there are certain background programs that can run in safe mode. Some AVs come to mind, things that are in the StartUp folder can also run.

Usually most everything is off in SafeMode, but not always.

Vic 970
01-31-2003, 03:21 PM
No, I didn't get to the bottom of the heavy CPU usage, I got to thinking that it was o/s related, then h/w related. but then again I just don't know. I'm looking for a cheap system so that I can shut this one down, go through everything, clean up & re-install. (I can't afford system down time.)

I was running dual o/s (triple actually) W98se on C. W2000nt on D. plus Linux. I had a prob with linux in that partition magic no longer worked, but everything else was fine, then whilst trying to fix linux to accept pm I accidentally partioned my 40 gig hdd into 2 linux partitions. After I set up again all the probs started.

at that point I put w98se & w2000nt ONLY on. & I have since uninstalled w2000nt as I found I was getting some 'cross talk'

I am on dial up, which is not 'always on'

am not networked.

not tried it in safemode. I assume the run line is C:\scandisk (without looking it up) I'm not that good with dos. do I need any parameters ?

Screensaver is ALWAYS off. (I have a screensaver s/c on quick start baar which is p/w protected. I use that as and when required. & only added it recently.)

haven't gone the way of loading at startup, usually when I do that I cancel everything then it doesn't run at all. need to learn which I need and which I don't.

only thing in the startup folder is a s/c to notes, (notepad opens & reminds me of the things I didn't get around to doing yesterday.)

Budfred
01-31-2003, 03:53 PM
Look here for info on running Scandisk from DOS:

http://www.computerhope.com/software/scandisk.htm

Budfred

john38
02-01-2003, 12:22 PM
turn of any screen savers then disadle your antivirus program then go to start then run type in msconfig press ok go to start up and disable all the programs that are runingthat arnt nessesery.
then run scan disc it should run ok

Vic 970
02-01-2003, 02:20 PM
Thanks budfred,

done it now several errors found & fixed.

Fruss Tray Ted
02-01-2003, 09:06 PM
... and was going to suggest a bad sector or corruption in or near where Scandisk is nearing completion. If DOS completed it, it still may be a prob. as it (Scandisk in DOS) is being run from another section of the drive. You may want to try in the fashion that you were attempting to scan prior, to see if that function is resolved. If not, it seems some lingering probs might be about.

I'm still thinkin' there's some 'scratches on the LP' causing some skips maybe :confused:

Whyzman
02-01-2003, 09:24 PM
Fruss may be on to something...you might want to consider running your HDD diagnostics.

Vic 970
02-02-2003, 08:28 AM
I've just run seagate disc diagnostic, passed on all counts, then generic tests. I skipped the surface scan as it was going to take too long (3.5 hours) I will do it probably overnight. the rest of the tests completed. it FAILED on file structure test on 'e' which is my programs partition, message "use system tools to fix" (or similar)

which system tools do I use for that ?

also I see that there is HDD SMART capability in BIOS which is disabled, should I enable this? and does that give any repair options or just a test & report utility ?

another thought: I changed the memory a while ago, system originally had 64 mb pc 100 it now has 512 mb of pc 133
when I change the dram clock from 100 to 133 it is still reported in Belmont as 100. but I notice that there is more memory usage, ie: in Tclock the memory load line is about 20% (along the bar) static, when set to 133 this goes to about 50% and movement is evident.

the memory is correctly reported in bios, belmont etc. as 512.

Vic 970
02-04-2003, 12:25 PM
I have now run Norton System Works, Disc Dr. and it reports everything fine.
Did the Seagate, Generic Disc test again, & it still reports problems on my 'programs' partition.