PDA

View Full Version : Win2k, stopped allowing UDMA on one drive

Matt
01-30-2003, 02:37 PM
I've read through all the similar threads concerning DMA and hard drive issues with Win2k, but my problem might be a little unique....

For around 5 or 6 months, both my main hard drive (Maxtor 51536u3) and my secondary hard drive (Maxtor 6L080J4) have been running in UDMA mode. Recently, I noticed that it would take forever to transfer files from one drive the the other, so started checking the event viewer and got the following errors:

* The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort0, did not respond within the timeout period. (I am assuming that this is for the C: drive)

* The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort0.

* The driver has detected a device with old or out-of-date firmware. The device will not be used.

The only changes that I have made recently are:
Upgraded Windows Media player to version 9 :mad:
installed small security service pack from the auto updater.
removed a user from my PC.

Matt
01-30-2003, 03:09 PM
Also, is there any way that I can force DMA with this device?

Matt
01-30-2003, 04:21 PM
Um... I fixed it. Here is the solution for future reference (if anyone cares :p ).

To regain UDMA mode for the hard drive I uninstalled the Primary Disk drive controller and re-installed it. This solved the problem.

Matt
02-01-2003, 02:41 AM
Well, I do have one question though... after talking to some people on IRC about the timeout issues. Would the posted errors mean that my drive (whichever one is responible) is on the brink of dying?

hawk7771us
02-01-2003, 05:06 AM
http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/powermax.htm you can get it here one one of the drives 51536u3 the other one you'll have to lookfor in the site have too sign off now someone calls hope this helps.

Matt
02-01-2003, 02:09 PM
I ran that, it said that I had no problems on the drive. However, I only had time to run the basic diagnostic.