PDA

View Full Version : Outlook Express--Where are messages stored

demonking
01-30-2003, 04:44 PM
Hi folks

Where on the hard drives are messages in Outlook Express stored. My pc is fairly hosed and I am going to have to manually copy data over (via DOS). I would like to get my mail if at all humanly possible. If so, let me know what file/location that i will need to copy from. Thanks.

James

Sylvander
01-30-2003, 05:24 PM
1. These are in
“C:\Windows\Application Data\Identities\{Code Number}\Microsoft\Outlook Express”.

How many {Code Number}’s there are will depemd on how many identities you have set up within Outlook Express.
The only way of telling which is which is to look at the file names within the “Outlook Express” folder.
You need to copy ALL of the “.dbx” files and later restore them to the correct folder for the same identities no matter what the {Code Number} is for each identity.

2. You also need the address book:
“C:\Windows\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book”
There will be a “.WA~” & “.WAB” file [two only]. Copy both and later restore them to the same folder.

3. Internet Explorer Favourites:
“C:\Windows\Favourites”
Copy all folders, sub-folders & files in here and later restore them to the same location.

I don’t know how to do similar exercises for:
a. Address books for each identity.
b. E-mail account settings.
c. Dial-up network settings.
I only know how to do it when there is access to the applications within Windows.

p.s. Need I advise that you make backups [of the whole C: drive] in future?

demonking
01-30-2003, 05:49 PM
I was supposed to do a full backup this weekend.....go figure. :-P

mjc
01-30-2003, 06:06 PM
Since, in DOS, you will not be able to see or get the enitre code number the best thing may be to copy the entire Application Data folder (which will be C:\Windows\Applic~1).