PDA

View Full Version : CPU temp!

TheDude3355
01-31-2003, 12:13 AM
Hi, I finally got my comp to work!!

(it was a fried CPU that caused the problem..)

BUT NOW...

My CPU is reaching up to 160 degrees farenheit...

Arctic Silver between CPU and Tt Volcano 9.. Whats the prob??!

I dont wanna kill another CPU :(

Poor CPU's... they gonna be extinct, and its all my fualt :(

Oh yea... Its an AMD Athlon XP 2400+

Budfred
01-31-2003, 12:21 AM
How are you cooling the case? It helps to have as much open space as possible, a case fan low in the front and another high in the back. If necessary, get round cables to encourage air flow, flat cables can impede air flow.

If the air in the case is hot, the CPU will heat up. You may also want to consider getting a more powerful fan for the heatsink, but I would try the other options first. In the meanwhile, you may want to run with the case cover off and a small desk fan blowing air into the case until you can get the temp down.

Budfred

TheDude3355
01-31-2003, 12:38 AM
Hi.

Since u say cables can affect the air flow... i was wondering..

How do people hide all the power supply cables?

i went to my local Comp store and they had a comp with a window and all the power supply cables were hidden or neatly wrapped..

and if u look at my case... its a jungle of wires.. :rolleyes:

i have round cables... for the most part...

and my case has 5 fans..

2 in the rear.. top
2 in front.. bottom
1 on side near PCI slots

Rears pushing out
Front pulling in
Side pumping out.

So how do they hide all the wires?!?! :D

Budfred
01-31-2003, 01:13 AM
With the velcro tie things and little plastic things that will glue to the wall of the case.

If you are already using 5 fans and round cables, about the only other thing I can think to do is make sure your heatsink is flush with the contact plate on the CPU and that you followed the directions to apply the Arctic Silver properly. That CPU will run hot, but it seems like the 60s is too much to be at all the time. You may need to look at getting a more powerful cooling system....

Others will hopefully have more ideas.

Budfred

Jhorner1
01-31-2003, 09:42 AM
Turn your side fan so it blows in, this will put more cool air on the hottest components, just be sure to clean your system about every 6 months or so. You could also add an intake fan into an unused drive bay, again this will also put cooler air near your hottest components.

mjc
01-31-2003, 11:02 AM
Pull the heatsink off, then look at the underside (the side that contacts the CPU).

Does it look like it was making even contact? or just around the edges?

If it is just at the edges then it is cupped and you will need to lap it.

Heatsink Lapping (http://overclockersclub.com/heatsinklappingguide.php)

sleddog
02-01-2003, 09:58 AM
With a CPU running at 160 F (71 C) the problem is most likely with the heatsink-to-CPU contact, as mjc and Budford suggest. Remove the heatsink, clean it and the CPU, reapply a thin layer of compound and replace it (and the CPU fan). Leave the side panel off the case and start the machine. Verify the CPU fan is spinning. Check the temp. If it doesn't come down then repeat the process: remove, clean, re-paste and replace the heatsink.

If the heatsink isn't installed flush with the CPU (meaning, an excellent surface-to-surface contact, and not 'tipped' a little) then CPU temperature will skyrocket. Sometimes it takes a few tries to get it just right. It depends partly on the type of mounting mechanism the heatsink uses. Some are a pain in the *ss to install correctly, especially with the motherboard in the case. Often it's easier with the motherboard out on a table.