PDA

View Full Version : Outlook Express + XP

Nino
01-31-2003, 10:07 AM
HI, this is going to be the stupidext question of the week!!
Q. How do I'll automatic get: you have got mail.... or any similar sign, that I got mail, wailin I'm surfing; without goin every once in wilde in: Mail / read Mail?
I used to have IncredImail (on windows 98) configurated to search every 5 mints, so You'll know! if I had message a notifier wiil inform me.
(((NOT working in windowsXP)))
With windows XP even if I open Outlook (and I live it open) notting happend if I have message.
Thank you all

Nino:confused:

YODA74
01-31-2003, 10:53 AM
Not an option you have to open outlook express

dilsburger
01-31-2003, 12:37 PM
Nino, have you gone out to the Incredimail site and grabbed the latest version update? They update fairly often. I've been running it on XP since this summer with no problems... If it's been awhile since you've updated, it probably would just pay to download the full version.

I also run Outlook 2000 (in case you have Office 2000 or Small Office 2000) and you can set the time in minutes to check the mail server and play a sound when it downloads. I just keep Outlook minimized while I'm doing other things.

YODA74
01-31-2003, 07:41 PM
I also run Outlook 2000

There is a whole lot of difference between outlook and outlook express two different programs just so there is no mistake..An Incredimail is a totaly different subject all together....

http://www.ibiztips.com/email22MAR01.htm

just an example.. so i don't know where 2000 even came into the picture??? Or have i missed something ?? Which is possable..:D

sleddog
01-31-2003, 08:03 PM
The simple solution is to run a small mail checker all the time. When the mail checker finds new mail you can then start Outlook (Express) and fetch your mail.

If the mail checker is a good one, it will also allow you to preview mail on the server, and delete selected ones. This is an excellent way of avoiding spam and other nuisance mail.

I use a mail checker called SimpleCheck. This program is now shareware, but an older release is still available as freeware (version 4.0 beta 08) -- http://www.simplecheck.net/prev_freeware.html

There are many similar programs, but I've found this one to be excellent in terms of features while remaining very undemanding of resources. Running all the time it consumes a mere ~400kb of memory.

dilsburger
01-31-2003, 08:40 PM
OK, here's where I was coming from..... and maybe I'm guessing I missed the point. And I probably did if the question was pointed to when you first connect to the internet :o

I assumed he was asking while online how do I get notified?... so my answer was pointed in this direction...In Outlook 2000 and as I just checked, also in OE which I don't use, you can set your email options to check the pop server as often as you want and have a sound played when it is downloaded. Of course the browser must remain open. So the next time the browser checks the server for new mail it is downloaded and the sound is played...My point was if you leave Outlook or OE open and minimized you will recieve the sound notification that new mail has arrived.

With Incredimail the pgm runs in the background and the browser does not have to be open to check for new mail and get notification.

Sorry, I guess read the question the wrong way.

Budfred
01-31-2003, 09:04 PM
I use MailWasher which allows me to screen for SPAM and viruses as well as notifying me when mail comes in. I turn off the automatic download of mail and set MailWasher to check every 2 minutes. This means I can check before junk is downloaded. MailWasher puts a little icon on my task bar when mail comes in and you can set to produce a sound as well. You can get it at www.mailwasher.net and it is free.

Budfred

sleddog
01-31-2003, 09:38 PM
Sure, lots of people use and like Mailwasher. I tried it and found it very sluggish. Anyway, my mail is spam-filtered on the server, so I just delete any spam-tagged mail in Simplecheck prior to using my mail program.

Don't you think checking mail every 2 minutes is kind of hammering the mail server? If every user is checking that frequently then that machine is really being put through it's paces :)

Budfred
01-31-2003, 09:59 PM
I haven't noticed a problem with sluggishness or the server balking down and I don't have SPAM screening at the server so I like MailWasher a lot. My point is that it provides the notice that Nino was asking for in visual and auditory fashion.

Budfred

Nino
02-01-2003, 09:26 AM
Only one simple thing to ALL of YOU....
Thank You V-M, You all're A1.
and peace!!

Nino:)

Budfred
02-01-2003, 12:04 PM
Thanks Nino,

What did you decide to do????

Budfred

Nino
02-01-2003, 01:32 PM
So far I have dowloaded mailwasher, (not installed yet) I gues it is going to be OK.
You know, some time... surfing here and there, and you get E-mail...is fun notice-IT (NOT every 2 minutes...!!), right now (even if I leave Outlook minimized)I must clic back and forword.
((If you know, incredimail is great and fun but even the Xe is NOT wirking properly with XP)).

Ciao
Nino:)