PDA

View Full Version : Offline Folders and Files

Beno
01-31-2003, 04:59 PM
Hey Team,

I had a look at my Offline Folders this morning and found that I had so many offline files there.

Where are these files being stored on my computer??

How can I reset all these files so that they are not offline files anymore??

I am running Win2K.

Thanks for the help anyone

Beno:)

Paul Komski
02-01-2003, 04:21 PM
They are stored in a cache (usually in the root folder of the hard drive).

Just delete them from the Offline Files Folder if they are no longer needed; the originals on the network are not deleted.

BTW there is a utility that can allow you to move this cache - but not sure exactly what it is.

Beno
02-01-2003, 05:52 PM
Thanks Paul,

If anyone out there knows how to alter the offline cache or where to find it so I can get rid of all offline files then I would greatly appreciate that.

Beno

Fruss Tray Ted
02-01-2003, 07:43 PM
For offline viewing of web pages, so far, I've found how to enable it but not how to disable it nor it's location. Google page Here (http://www.google.ca/search?q=offline+viewing&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&meta=) with different flavors of Windows. If you find the exact location of these files, please post it in a reply.

My guess is to go where you enabled it in Favorites and re-clicking to remove a check mark on the particular webpage, one by one... Then deleting the entries to wipe it from your harddrive.

Thanks.
Signed,
Curiosity, the cat ;)

Paul Komski
02-02-2003, 03:32 PM
The Offline Files and Folders are not the same as Temporary Internet Files or Offline Webpages. They are to allow one (or many) computers on a network to be still be able to access these files, when the computer on the LAN (which holds the originals) goes offline.

The settings can be found by Opening Windows Explorer and going to Tools<>FolderOptions<>OfflineFiles.

The individual files to be "cached" in this manner should be selected from the relevant computer's shared folders (using MyNetworkPlaces or MyComputer); then after RClicking on the items, by enablong the menu-item called "Make available offline".

The way that these files can be used depends on how the computer with the originals has enabled its own File Sharing. However, they are stored (temporarily or otherwise) in a special cache with a default maximum size of 10% of that drive's total. This is in the CFC folder and which is, by default, stored in the root-system folder; usually WinNT for Windows 2000.

There is a utility called Offline Files Cache Mover (cachemov.exe) which is part of the full Win2K reskit, which can enable the cache to be moved to another location. I don't think it is a free download but if someone knows where it can be downloaded from then that would be useful to know about.

These files can be deleted from the cache in a number of ways; deleting them does NOT affect the originals on the computer from which they were cached.

PS BTW this cache can apparently be configured so that it is still utilised, when the originals are still accessible on-line, and thereby reducing network traffic and speeding-up access to the files. This may be when the cacheing is done manually rather than automatically.