PDA

View Full Version : Duplicate tak bar icons

cliff
02-01-2003, 07:08 AM
On my Windows2000 taskbar adjacant to the Start button, I have 4 icons 1)Show Desktop
2)Launch Internet Explorer Browser
3) Launch Outlook express
4)Windows Media Player lined up in that order.

Right next to the 4th icon (win media player), I have another set (a duplication) of these four icons. I can pick any Icon on either of these 2 sets and icon from set1 will do the same function as its duplicate icon from set2.

If I right click an icon then hit Delete, the icon is removed from both sets. I would like to remove the duplicare set of icons and remain with one. How can I accomplish this task ? Please help. And thank you

Start icon1 icon2 icon3 icon4 | icon1 icon2 icon3 icon4...Volume..time
Button [----Duplicate icons---]

Jiggy
02-01-2003, 07:48 AM
Dont know if this will help so try clicking on one icon(on one set)then drag it to Desk Top and delete it from there, and do the same for the other three.

cliff
02-01-2003, 08:22 AM
I dragged one of the icons from one set to the desktop, but, both icons from both sets were dragged to the desktop. I returned the dragged icon to the taskbar and then both sets received the icon. If I delete from the desktop, I will delete them (icons) from both sets, which isnt what I want to do.
Thanks though

YODA74
02-01-2003, 08:51 AM
Boy never had this problem bet thats fun...

Might be a couple of ways to do this one is try to upsize your icon cache "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Exp lorer\Max Cached Icons" to a max number 2000 then rebuild your icon cache ??

Wait on this one to see if someone has tried it yet my other machine is down so i can't play at the moment..But I'm not useing 2000 either??

Open Start Menu, Settings, Control Panel, then click the Display icon.
Select the Appearance tab.
Select the icon in the Item Box.
Increase the icon unit by 1.
Select Apply.
Decrease the icon unit by 1.
Select OK.

------------------------------------------------------------

Delete the file %systemroot%\ShellIconCache Note: This file has a hidden attribute.
Log off and log back on to see the correct icons.

Steve
02-01-2003, 08:57 AM
They are just shortcuts. How about you delete all of them and then just drag and drop a fresh shortcut for each one?

Jiggy
02-01-2003, 10:37 AM
never thought of that, let us know if it works.

cliff
02-04-2003, 01:46 PM
I finally got a chance to try out your recomendations. I tried what Yoda74 recommended. and this is how i did it:
Typed regedt32 at the run menu and went to hkey local machine,\ms\windows\currentversion\explorer. I how ever could not find under explorer max cached icon. so, I could not proceed from there. I also tried running regedit.exe, but also could not find under explorer the maxcached icon

tried also the other option(erasing the shelliconcache). I searched for this file and it showed it in my d:\win2000 folder. The file was not however listed as a folder within my win2000 folder. I'm not sure where else I should have looked.

As always further insight is appreciated

cliff
02-04-2003, 02:13 PM
i did find the shelliconcache file in my d:\win2000 folder. I erased it then logged back up. It did not seem to take care of the problem

Fruss Tray Ted
02-04-2003, 04:56 PM
Someone PLEASE

http://storetn.cafepress.com/3/3462443_F_store.jpg

I deleted my quick launch icons to similate the problem, now I can get them back but they are on the wrong side of the little divider bar and when I open any program or page, the pages minimize to where the quick launch icons belong.

It's a good thing I'm due for a fresh format in a few weeks... :p

I tried Yoda's second suggestion (the +1 -1 option) to no avail.

Hope you get it resolved,,, I'm waiting for my fix too... :eek:

mjc
02-04-2003, 06:27 PM
You can try increasing the size of the task bar, that should allow oy to rearrange the layout.

Paul Komski
02-04-2003, 07:33 PM
FTT you should be able to drag the QuickLaunch toolbar back over to the left; this is sometimes more easy to achieve if you first widen the whole taskbar to double it's size by dragging the its border inwards.

Cliff It sounds like you have somehow got a duplication of the whole QuickLaunch toolbar - rather than duplication of the icons. If you R-click on an empty area of the taskbar is it listed there under toolbars once or twice by any chance; or is the an additonal "customised" one that is there in addition to the normal one. Normally one can hide/unhide by clicking on the relevant one.

Fruss Tray Ted
02-04-2003, 11:05 PM
As usual you got it right on the money.

With past experience with sticky mouse and trying to shake the dust out of it, I've had the taskbar stuck to the left, the right, even hung on the ceiling of the screen...

I shoulda' known... :o

Still can't get the jist o' this 'Twin' thing bein' a problem though... http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/love/ladysman.gif