PDA

View Full Version : Registry Files - Where are they???

Beno
02-02-2003, 01:48 AM
I don't know what has happened, but my machine was acting slowly and kept crashing, so I thought I would restart it to referesh the memory, and upon restarting it couldn't find the network. Very strange indeed cause there is no viruses to my knowledge on my machine - everything is scanned thoroughly.

So I hit the F8 key on the next restart and went to last known good configuration which I thoght would be the registry settings of the last successful boot. But instead it has displayed the computer in a sense that it has not loaded the graphics driver and looks like it did when I first put it together and started it up.

I was under the belief that Win2K did auto registry backups everytime it started successfully. I can't find these backups. Does anyone know where I could find them. I went to the import feature in the registry and went through the system folders hoping it would find them but I haven't found any.

Could someone please help me out here - this is a real crisis for me.
Any help would be appreciated ASAP.

Thanks Kindly

Beno

tommy
02-02-2003, 02:55 AM
Don't know about Win2K, but for WIN95:

Registry PRIMARY files are \WINDOWS\SYSTEM.DAT and \WINDOWS\USER.DAT

Registry BACKUP files are \WINDOWS\SYSTEM.DA0 and \WINDOWS\USER.DA0 (that's a zero on the end).

Steve
02-02-2003, 08:49 AM
Hi Beno,

Nope. W2k doesn't do automatic registry back ups. Not that I know of anyway.

It's odd that last good config. didn't work for you. Have you booted into safe mode to see if anything is up in device manager? Your video drivers may have become corrupted. You can remove the video drivers and restart and reinstall. Actually with w2k you might not even have to go to safe mode, just go to device manager. If there is a problem you might be able to use the troubleshooter.

I would also double check the virus scan just to make sure.

Keep in mind you have a repair option on the w2k disk if you need it.

Paul Komski
02-02-2003, 04:03 PM
Leaving malware to one side, I doubt if the registry settings, per se, are the relevant ones if you can't see your network.

If the network settings have been corrupted, I would be inclined to delete them all (or delete the LAN card from device manager and reboot)and then reinstall and reconfigure them; having first double-checked that all the settings are as are they are supposed to be.

Could there be a conflict with the NIC and another component? It could also be worth checking-out DirectX by running dxdiag.

Networking is certainly not my strong point - so input from one of those gurus could be of benefit.

PS Final thought is that if your system has become slow due to a bloated cache, defragmentation, etc, then are you giving the system enough time, after rebooting, for the network to set itself up properly; it's never instantaneous. And can other computers see your computer??

Beno
02-03-2003, 01:44 AM
Hi All,

I was going to try what Paul and others had written back to me, but I now have a new error which I and I'm sure most of you haven't seen before and it goes like this.

When Win2K starts up, it does the POST and starts to load the OS and then comes up with a blue screen with white writing that says:

" *** STOP: 0x0000007B
INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE
If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this sreen appears again, then follow these steps.

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard disk controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated.
Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard disk corruption and then restart your computer."

To my knowledge, I don't have a virus on my computer.
I haven't installed any new HDD or HDD controllers for the past 9 months and I can't run the command prompt cause every time I restart the machine, I come back to this message and the only way out is to restart again!!

If anyone technical out there can solve this one, then you ought to be congratulated! ;-)

Regards

Beno

Sylvander
02-03-2003, 04:28 AM
Try this

“INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE” when you start your PC
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;329898

Beno
02-04-2003, 07:32 AM
Hi Sylvander and others,

Thanks for your replies.

Sylvander: Thanks for the link but I think Microsoft are leaving some information out of there procedures for fixing:

This is what Microsoft say to do:

MICROSOFT:

When you are prompted to do so, press R to select Repair, and then press C to select Recovery Console.
1.)Type cd windows\system32\config, and then press ENTER to change folders.

2.)Type ren system system.old, and then press ENTER.

:mad: 3.)Type copy windows\repair\system, and then press ENTER. :mad:

4.)Type exit, and then press ENTER.
Start your computer normally, do not boot from the Windows CD.

If you cannot start your computer normally, go to Method 2. If you can start your computer normally, go to Part 2 of this method.

Step 3 doesn't work for me. Do you have any suggestions as to what I do at this point??

Thanks mate, you've been a great help so far.

Method 2 doesn't work either!!

Regards

MJJ

Sylvander
02-04-2003, 09:01 AM
Yes, you’re right.

I presume step 2 worked but step 3 didn’t.

I think step 3 should read:

copy [your CD-Drive letter]:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system

but beware, I don’t know what it’s trying to copy.
I’m not very good with DOS commands.

Have a look on the CD to see what this is that’s being copied.
Obviously you’re expected to replace the copy [of a file perhaps] on the c: drive with a good copy from the CD.
If it’s a file it may be “system.ini”, or it may be a set of files beginning “system”, e.g. “system.???”.
The command may be saying “copy all files beginning “system” from here to there”.

I vaguely remember that if you are already within a folder and you say copy from here, then they are copied from there to where you are.

i.e.
copy [your CD-Drive letter]:\windows\repair\system
[so long as you specify the CD-drive letter, will copy from there into
c:\windows\system32\config