PDA

View Full Version : 8.3 filenames

Jiggy
02-02-2003, 09:50 AM
Does WinXP automatically create 8.3 filenames for ever file on the system like W2k does(DOS backwards compatibillity).

Steve
02-02-2003, 10:38 AM
Hi Jiggy,

Yes, XP automatically generates shorter DOS compatible filemanes when needed. It does this by:

Removing illeagal characters and substituting an underscore. ( _ )
Removing any spaces in the name.
Condensing the name to six letters and adding a tilde ( ~ ) and a single digit number as the last two characters of the name.

Jiggy
02-02-2003, 11:19 AM
Steve,

If WinXP doesnt use DOS or limited access to it, why make the files backwards compatibillity?

Steve
02-02-2003, 11:53 AM
Well, I guess the term would be "functionality". If XP couldn't work with all the computers and programs that came before it, it's usefullness would be quite limited.

Paul Komski
02-02-2003, 04:50 PM
Jiggy. I wish I knew the full answer, because it is causing me a big headache with a dual boot WinME/2K setup; since:- depending on whether or not Win2K creates an 8.3 name, OR NOT, then the case of the long filenames, when booting into WinME, is altered, OR NOT.

In other words, I don't think Win2K does create 8.3 file names IF the longname is already in 8.3 format (don't know about WinXP but it is likely to be similar). This can be checked-out from the command prompt with dir /x when it will be seen that the dos file-names are absent, when the long filename is in 8.3 format!

Jiggy
02-02-2003, 06:12 PM
i took a look at the dir /x in a DOS promtp in win xp and it does list both the 8.3 filename and the long filename.

example.

PLUGIN~1.TRA in 8.3

.plugin141_01.trace in long filename

Paul Komski
02-02-2003, 06:36 PM
Yes - but that long filename is a LONG filename. Find a long filname (such as testfile.txt) which is already 8.3 compliant and see if it lists it again (or just as a blank) in the column of short names. ;)

Jiggy
02-02-2003, 06:47 PM
so what your saying is look for a long filename that is short (in 8.3)

YODA74
02-02-2003, 07:39 PM
Choosing Between FAT and NTFS
By Brien M. Posey, MCSE
Published in TechRepublic's Windows Support Professional
(TechRepublic.com)

This guy had a good explanation not exactly what your wanting but close and understandable..or at least for me

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=Does+WinXP+automatically+create+8.3+filen ames&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=fEEx8.35645%24EK.10791444%40e3500-atl1.usenetserver.com&rnum=1

Paul Komski
02-02-2003, 07:54 PM
Jiggy. Yes. A long filename that is short. When this is the case, Win2K (anyways) doesn't go to the bother of creating a short filename (or DOS alias). Win9X (FAT32 or VFAT) always lists both a long filename (even if it is short) and a dos-alias, even when this is non-existent when the same file is seen from Win2K.

Yoda. Not a bad article but a bit dated (FAT16 WinNT era). NTFS is not actually specifically relevant to this issue and, of course, if the file system is FAT16 then only 8.3 will "work".

He He (and I don't mean to piggy-back this thread); :D what I personally want to find out is how to force Win2K to always create a dos-alias, since these files (or folders) without a dos-alias in Win2K are always made into UpperCase in Windows Explorer in WinME! Alternatively how to keep the same case in WinME and Win2K using another method would be of immense value.