PDA

View Full Version : More questions on Win 2K clean install..

Dogdaysdude
02-03-2003, 02:39 PM
AT least I think this is a Windows 2000 issue. I did a clean install of 2K yesterday. Everything went fairly well. I also have a Promise Ultra 100 TX2 controller. I installed the latest driver for it (downloaded the other day) from the Promise web site, after 2000 was installed.
However, when I move the hard drives to it, the primary drive sounds like it is trying to power down, spins down, clicks and starts spinning up again. So I had to move the hard drives back to the mobo controller and temporarily put the cd-rom drive on the Promise controller. The 2 hard drives are on one IDE cable. I have a cd burner and a zip drive on another IDE cable and the cd-rom on another.
Any ideas concerning the hard drive problem?
Also, I tried to un-install a program I had installed and the Installer Service not running message came up, so are there some other important things I need to check before I start loading any more software and doing restores from a few back ups I have?
Thanks much.

Matt
02-04-2003, 02:22 AM
WOW! Now wait a sec, that sounds similar to a problem that I was having!
LINK TO MY POST (http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20121)

My primary drive would sound as though it were trying to power down (never spinned down) but it would make the "parking" noise along with a click or two. It did this when DMA was disabled for my secondary drive. The problem would only occure when I would try to send a large file from one drive to the other. However, once I got DMA working again it stopped acting as though it were a dying drive.... mostly.:p

One thing to check is your drivers. Make sure they are configured and running properly for your primary IDE controller.