PDA

View Full Version : Boot/Reboot Problem

mikew
02-03-2003, 11:11 PM
Hi,
I have a problem with my wifes old P166. It has a 3.2gig hd, 64mb ram, 4mb video card and is running Windows 98se. The problem is that it will not reboot and will not boot without waiting several minutes. When I switch on or reboot the hd light and the cd light both come on together and it just sits there with both lights on. The power supply fan and the cpu fan are both running and the hd is spinning with regular clicking noises (no beeps). The only thing I can see out of place in Device Manager is Advanced Power Management which tells me that this device is not working properly or doesn't have all the drivers installed. I have tried updating the driver but only get the massage that the best driver is already installed. Is the problem related to this or am I looking at a power supply problem ? The hd has no bad sectors and I have tried a fresh windows install. When it does boot up it runs smooth as silk.
All help greatly appreciated as I can't afford a new computer for her at the moment.

Tanzie, The Old Fart

rahulkothari
02-04-2003, 05:15 AM
is yor case clean from inside ? it may happen that some dust has collected, which is preventing heat dissipation... hence the problems.

hang on ... others will come to your 'rescue' soon. :)

gopi_vs
02-04-2003, 05:25 AM
Reset the BIOS. Check whether the power management is enabled in the BIOS. Try a BIOS update.

mikew
02-04-2003, 08:27 AM
Bios is Explore 11 V5 S (don't know how/where to update) and the power management is disabled with all the sleep and doze modes disabled. Fans etc. were cleaned last September. There is a very small amount of dust and I will reclean tonight. Thanks for your reply's.

Tanzie, The Old Fart

ski
02-04-2003, 10:07 AM
If you added any new hardware before the problem started, then it could be slowing down the boot process.

If no new hardware was added, then press Ctrl-Alt-Del on the Desktop and see how many programs are running. If there's a lot of them, then that will also increase the boot time.
Go to Start/Run, type msconfig, click OK/Startup, write down all of the items that are checked for later reference, uncheck all of the boxes except for System Tray, ScanRegistry, LoadPowerProfile(there may be 2 of these), and a firewall(if you use one), click OK, and restart the system.
See if that helps.

mikew
02-04-2003, 07:09 PM
Hi Ski,

No new hardware has been installed.I tried your suggestions without success. It doesn't appear to be a slow booting issue as it boots fine when cold. Also there is nothing on the computer except windows98se and office 2000 (there is 2.6gig of the 3.2gig hd free). It only has to run for 2 or 3 minutes and then will not reboot for about 10-15 minutes. I assume something has then cooled down. After shutting down both HD and CD rom lights come on and stay on instantly without even a start to the booting process.

Tanzie. The Old Fart

mikew
02-04-2003, 08:43 PM
I think I must now have the cleanest P166 in the Western hemisphere. BUT, I still have to wait 15mins after shuting down or rebooting before it will boot up again.

ski
02-05-2003, 10:07 AM
Make sure power management is disabled in both Windows and in BIOS.

If that's ok or if the problem still happens after reconfiguring PM, then it could be caused by a failing power supply module which when heated up may not have enough punch to restart the system.
Checking it with a voltmeter after the system has been running for a while may show a problem.
To do this, check the following leads on the back of the PSM's connector to the MB with the system powered up-
Yellow and black wire: +12 volts
Red and black: +5 volts
If either reading is way below the above, then replace the PSM.
If the readings are ok, then check them again when the computer is restarted. If either dips way down, then replace the PSM.

If the PSM checks out ok, then restart the computer, go into BIOS, in the 'Boot Order' make sure that the floppy drive(FDD) is 1st and the hard drive(HDD) is 2nd, save the change(if necessary), insert a Windows emergency boot floppy, and restart.
If the FDD immediately reads the boot floppy and start menu appears, then suspect the hard drive as the cause of the problem.

If the FDD activity and start menu appearance take several minutes, then remove the boot floppy, turn off the computer, disconnect the FDD, and restart. If it starts up ok, then suspect the FDD.

If it still takes a few minutes with the FDD disconnected, then turn off the computer, reconnect the FDD, disconnect the CD-ROM drive, and restart. If it starts up ok, then suspect the CD-ROM drive.

If the problem still happens with the CD-ROM drive disconnected, then repeat the above procedure for each of the cards(except the video card), and the memory(if more than one module is installed).

If no luck, then it could be due to a faulty MB or CPU.