PDA

View Full Version : Com Ports

tad214
02-03-2003, 11:47 PM
hello,
i hope this day is finding everyone doing great. i have a real quick question and i will be out of your way. could someone tell me how to turn your com ports off and on. one time i may need them off, other times i may want them on. i would be grateful for any help. thanks in advance. have a good night. DALE

Budfred
02-04-2003, 12:00 AM
You can turn them off in BIOS, turning them back on can be a little more tricky. I disabled Com1 while installing a Winmodem and couldn't get it back later. Of course, I didn't try real hard because I didn't really need it. Someone else may know how to do it more reliably...

Matt
02-04-2003, 02:24 AM
Keep a record of what the com port settings are, that way you don't have to mess around with address and possibly IRQ settings (not sure if com port settings in the bois assings IRQs). Also, on newer boards you can set the com ports properties to AUTO, that way should be able to avoid re-activation issues. I have switched my com and printer ports off and back on, it seems to work using auto just fine.

gopi_vs
02-04-2003, 05:32 AM
I think disabling them in the device manager would work. But not sure if it would be "Turned off" :(

tad214
02-04-2003, 11:52 PM
hello,
sounds good. thanks for all the help. i am just more or less looking for all the back doors someone could get in. lol

Budfred
02-05-2003, 12:16 AM
There are much easier ways to do that, like a good firewall....