PDA

View Full Version : Xp Pro Blank Desktop

stepadery
02-05-2003, 08:36 AM
Iím running XP Pro.
I was organizing several saved files I have had stored for a while to burn them on cd for backup copies. There was one zipped file that had a virus on it, my antivirus program caught it and quarantined it. I thought. Donít know if the is the problem or not.
When I started my computer several hours later the default logon screen came up (I was not using that before this problem) so I entered my user name and password (I have the administrator account).
Now my computer starts but I do not have any icons on my desktop. I hit (Ctrl,Alt,Delete) keys and the task manager shows up on my desktop. Cannot get access to any programs, no start menu. I have tried starting in safe mode and using ďstart using last knownĒ and it boot up to the same blank desktop. Could it be a registry problem? Can someone help?

slim
02-05-2003, 08:58 AM
Hi,

Can you remember what the virus was????

Have you recently installed any new software/hardware, the reason I ask is because I had a similar problem on a windows xp and found the cause to be software I had installed, so once I removed the software it worked ok again. Not sure if it is relevant but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Slim

stepadery
02-05-2003, 09:44 AM
Yes I did install a program. It was Adobe Acrobat, I have had this installed before with no problems. Do you know if I can remedy my problems through the C: prompt seeing that is the only way I can access files?

slim
02-05-2003, 10:20 AM
I have limited experience with windows xp, but I can tell you how I fixed the issue.

I let the windows XP get to the blank desktop, did "C+A+D" and stopped the process of the new software and then the desktop continued to load (a bit of luck :D). But I am not sure if this will work in your case, as I doubt acrobat is loading as a service on startup, but their is no harm in trying it.

As for fixing the issue through dos, I do not know XP well enough to do that, but I am sure someone who knows XP well will come along.

Slim

stepadery
02-05-2003, 10:32 AM
Slim

Thanks for you help.
Seems like everything loads correctly, all the normal sounds, time it takes to load, ect. Just no desktop icons, toolbars, start menu, nothing.

Step

slim
02-05-2003, 10:47 AM
Not sure if this will help, but I have be doing a quick search and found this suggestion on a website.

Start task manager "C+A+D"
From the menu
File > New task
sfc /scannow

This verfies all the windows files are intact and in their original state.

Slim

stepadery
02-06-2003, 10:10 AM
Thanks to everyone with the responses!
The virus that I mentioned was the (W32DSS.Trojan). My antivirus program stopped it from opening and I quarantined it.
I posted on a few forums. Got several different suggestions on how to take care of the problem. Sorted through them and tried them in the order of which I thought would do less damage and used it first. This is the order in which I tried:
1. sfc /scannow Ė Did not help
2. Ctrl+Alt+Del to Task Manager I typed in (explorer.exe) in and it did populate my desktop. However the resolution and color quality was terrible. Color quality was 4 bit and screen resolution was 800x600 and could not adjust either. While I had access to my programs I went on to #3.
3. System Restore Ė Did not help (Had only one prior day saved restore point) Rebooted after this and went back to the original problem.
4. Was suggested that I do the following, which I did: Run regedit, check the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon has an entry Shell with a value Explorer.exe (Shell=Explorer.exe). The shell value there was for the startup of Norton Antivirus. I then changed the value to Explorer.exe exited out of Regedit rebooted and it did boot up to my desk top with the poor color quality and screen resolution. Maybe thatís where the virus comes in because, itís my understanding that it adds to or replaces that registry key value with a (openme.exe) value.
5. Itís taking a little longer to boot up now but it seems like all programs are running fine. I still have the color quality/screen resolution problem but Iím thinking about deleting my graphics card drivers and reinstalling them.
Any thoughts?