PDA

View Full Version : 3 new critical updates

Mark Miller
02-05-2003, 04:16 PM
Three new updates for Xp and ie6 showed up today.
Mark:)

jabarnutcase
02-05-2003, 08:46 PM
Thanks- Got em' Mark-
It's interesting. I occasionally "run" Windows update just to see what there is- (Even though I have updates to download automatically BUT, notify me when they are ready to install). In this case, I installed all three.

Anyway, I guess what I am driving at here is that I saw them earlier in the day but decided to wait until the "updates have been downloaded and are ready to install" icon appeared in my system tray. (Only appeared just now)

I found by letting it do it's thing rather than downloading as soon as I see them available from the site, I have a lot less "failed" downloads and installs in my update history.

Now, how's that for three paragraphs of silly, useless, rambling information?! :D :p

starlyn20602
02-05-2003, 09:02 PM
Speaking of windows updates, when i get the msg to update, and i go there, it updates, but doesnt finish installing or downloading, sorry, cant remember which...happens everytime, so, now i just close out the window for updating......any ideas why this would happen?arial dark blue :p

ermm....this is my first posting, if i messed it up, try to ignore it:)

jabarnutcase
02-05-2003, 09:15 PM
Hi starlyn20602 and Welcome!

What Operating system are you using?
Also, how do you have your "Automatic Updates" configured? (My Computer/ Properties/ Automatic updates/ Settings)

Are they set to download and install, or to just download and notify you they are ready to install?

starlyn20602
02-05-2003, 09:23 PM
[SIZE=1][FONT=arial][COLOR=darkblue]I went to my computer ..then properties....but where would i find automatic updates?

starlyn20602
02-05-2003, 09:25 PM
...and btw....someone help me figure out this font/color/size thingy.. eeeeps!

jabarnutcase
02-05-2003, 09:35 PM
starlyn20602....Concernng the "font", "size" "color" thing, try fooling around with one at a time until you get used to it. You can also see how other people do it by clicking on the "quote" tab on the upper right hand corner of their post. ( There is also a testing forum on the bottom of the main forum page where you can practice)

Concerning Windows updates...I take it you are not using XP? In XP there is an updates tab you can select.
It's been so long now since I used 98 and ME, I can't remember if the same option exists. However, you can go to Microsofts update site in any case and see whats available, and download them from there.

(EDIT) I might add that you have a certain amount of time to add or edit your post as I just did, rather than posting again. You can do this by clicking your edit tab after posting. (It will let you know if it still can be edited)
May I also suggest that you click on the "F.A.Q." tab at the top of the forums...It can help you to learn how to use the various features! ;)

starlyn20602
02-05-2003, 09:45 PM
i'll work on the font thing later...
sorry about that, i guess it WOULD have helped to say i have windows 98.. and this started on the fact i cant seem to download from the microsoft webpages

jabarnutcase
02-05-2003, 09:50 PM
As I said before, there have been some problems downloading updates. Try downloading one at a time or during a different time of the day and see if that helps.

Concerning 98, maybe someone that is still using it can tell you how to configure it to do it automatically. Heck, I can't even remember if it had that feature! :rolleyes:
It's tough to get old and start losing your memory. :D

starlyn20602
02-05-2003, 09:54 PM
thanks for you help:)
i've learnt quite abit so far...i started coming here this afternoon when i found this website in the back of the book, basic A+ for dummies and i found the msgs so interesting that i logged on.. i wish i was as good at computers as you guys are, maybe some day eh?:)
i think it would be cool if there was a chatroom here for people to get together in too but anyways, i'm really enjoying the msgs and the things i've learnt so far

jabarnutcase
02-05-2003, 10:01 PM
starlyn20602
This is a great place to learn. There is also a wealth of info within The PCGuide (http://pcguide.com/) itself...(Outside the forums)

Again, take a look around the "f.a.q." tab above and keep looking around the forums..You'll be suprised how much you learn from these guys! ;)

Budfred
02-05-2003, 10:34 PM
If you check the home page for PCGuide you will find that there is a chat room which is most often occupied in the later evening USA time.