PDA

View Full Version : I have a problem with Hotmail.

LittleSmurf
02-05-2003, 07:34 PM
I have hotmail on my Outlook account. Its not my families main email, its my personal one. It will nto let me send e-mail though, it keeps getting a problem. This is the message I get. Can anyone translate this into english and mabye give me an idea how to fix it?

An unknown error has occurred. Account: 'Hotmail', Server: 'http://services.msn.com/svcs/hotmail/httpmail.asp', Protocol: HTTPMail, Server Response: 'Message size is too large', Port: 0, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x80004005

PeterTan
02-05-2003, 10:00 PM
Hi

Think you might have exceeded your storage limits on Hotmail or the email u are trying to send is too large to get thru the hotmail account.

Try cleaning up hotmail account and delete all the old messages. Go to folders option and see what is the availabe storage space you have left. If the email u are trying to send exceeds the available free space, your mail will bounce and return that error message you posted.

Hope this helps.

LittleSmurf
02-06-2003, 07:28 PM
Thanks for the reply. I did attach a file to one of the emails I tried to send. I think that is around the time the problem started. Do you have any idea how I might be able to cancle the email? Everytime I log onto outlook it tries to send the email.

Since the problem has started though, I have not been able to send any emails through my hotmail account. Do you think the one big email could be holding up all the others?

Budfred
02-06-2003, 07:49 PM
"Do you think the one big email could be holding up all the others?"

Yes.

jabarnutcase
02-06-2003, 08:20 PM
Yes, that's exactly what the problem is.
It reminds me of a similar nightmare many moons ago. I tried sending a rather large mp3 file through outlook express (and hotmail) and it just wouldn't go away. I tried everything I could think of.
I tried canceling it and closing out OE, but as soon as I opened OE again, it would start sending the file from my out box all over again.

I remember digging deep into outlook express files on my hard drive and deleting the entire message that way or something, I just can't remember now how I solved the problem.

You might try logging into your account on the web at hotmail (Rather than through outlook) and see if you can get rid of it there. Although, I believe the message is stored locally on your computer and attempts to re-send it from there.
I wish I could remember the details, but I do recall it becoming a nightmare seeing that file being sent over and over again and not being able to do anything about it.

I'm sure if accessing it from the web doesn't work, someone here will have an idea. But you have exceeded you hotmail limits and you need to get rid of that letter and it's attachment.
good luck!

Paul Komski
02-06-2003, 09:02 PM
If you delete it from the server (using hotmail webmail or MailWasher) it should disappear from OE when next synchronised. You might be able to set it in OE to just synchronise the headers (not the whole message) and then delete it from OE, since you wouldn't need to wait for the whole message to be downloaded.

LittleSmurf
02-07-2003, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the answers, but I do not understand. Can you repeat what you said it stupid people terms?

Budfred
02-07-2003, 03:51 PM
In plain terms (ain't no stupid people around here), you need to find the oversized email and delete it. In Outlook, it would probably be stored in Drafts, I am not sure where it would be in OE or Hotmail. If you can't find it in the program, you may need to find it on the hard drive and delete it. You probably also need to empty your mailbox in Hotmail, either by deleting everything or downloading it, but you may not be able to do this until you clear that big one. If you succeed in clearing it, close Hotmail and your connection down, then reconnect. This will cause your computer and the Hotmail server to synchronize their versions of what is in your Hotmail account and you should be able to access everything if you successfully got rid of the big dude email....

Good luck...

mjc
02-07-2003, 04:27 PM
Log into Hotmail using IE not OE, the webmail interface. Clean out your folders using that.

LittleSmurf
02-07-2003, 04:57 PM
Thanks for all the help, but I am now contemplating punching a hole in my computer, then setting it on fire, then running over it with my car, then shooting whatever is left with a bazooka.

Firstly, I cant find anything on my hard drive. I looked for drafts and I cant find any, I cant find any hotmail stuff, and I looked in the OE folder and nothing helped in there.

Secondly, and most annoyingly, I tried to log on my hotmail account on IE. I forgot my password and my secret word, and I cant even find a freaking adress to email hotmail to ask what to do..

So I just want to know, if I delete the whole freaking hotmail account from my Outlook express, will that solve the problem? I am getting really annoyed at the stupid thing trying to connect every time I open up my e-mail and I am about to freak out and hurt myself.

As a side rant, I cannot wait, and will pay whatever price is asked as soon as retinal or fingerprint scans become available instead of having stupid passwords for everything. I have about 10 passwords, none of which I remember. And even if I write them down beside my computer, they are not very secret.. roar, im mad.

Budfred
02-07-2003, 05:48 PM
If you want Hotmail, you can just open another Hotmail account and send an email to friends that you want to notify. Let the one you have now just fade into obscurity or let Hotmail know you are canceling it (although they will probably want your password to do so).

For passwords, you need to make them tricky if you want to maintain good security, but if you don't care so much about the particular account, use an easy one (like your birthday or initials of family members or whatever). You can also download programs that will remember your passwords and enter them automatically, although you need to have them written down somewhere in case something happens to that program. These programs also are somewhat of a security risk, but they do try to make them secure. I know Netscape 7 has the ability to do this.

jabarnutcase
02-07-2003, 06:02 PM
As Budfred said, you can open another hotmail account. I believe, after a certain amount of inactivity, they de-activate the account anyway.

If you're sure you can't possibly remember your password to access it at hotmail.com, then you could go that route.

In the mean time, if you open Outlook Express, up top click on tools/accounts/ and remove hotmail from within the mail tab.

Then, you can set OE up again with a new Hotmail account. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that may be one way to solve your problem.
That is, if OE lets you remove the hotmail account while it's attempting to send that file for the umpteenth time.
Another thought, to prevent that, you may be able to go to tools/options and un-check "send and receive messages at startup"

Budfred
02-07-2003, 06:11 PM
You can probably remove the Hotmail account while offline and it shouldn't be a problem with it trying to send.

jabarnutcase
02-07-2003, 06:22 PM
Wow budfred! My edit-(Last sentence) exactly the same time as your post. I know how LittleSmurf feels...I had the exact problem and it seemed a lot harder to solve than it looked. That was however, a long, long, time ago.

Yep....I'm talking long here.

(Edit) Boy, I'm becoming the edit freak here. Anyway, It seems to me even though I had access to the web account, I still had a heck of a time stopping the thing! However, that was a long, long, time ago

Yep...I'm talking long here

mjc
02-07-2003, 07:16 PM
There should be a certain amount of time before Hotmail gives up on it. You could try waitng (remove the Hotmail account from OE's automatic checking) and just let it sit for a few days.

Paul Komski
02-07-2003, 07:23 PM
If you can get into OE then go to Tools<>Options and on the "General" Tab uncheck the box "Send and Receive Messages at StartUp" (this will prevent OE trying to send the offending mail before you can do anything about it). Then go into the outbox folder and delete the offending mail. Then go to the File Menu and from the Folder Submenu choose Compact all folders. (edit: You may have to close and then reopen OE for the compaction to work on all folders).

If you can't even get into OE at all then search for a file named Outbox.dbx on your hard drive; it will be in a folder called Outlook Express. Delete it (this will delete the folder and all files in it). Then restart OE and a brand new Outbox folder (clean and empty) should have been created.

To be on the safe side (in case you want to see what's in the Outbox folder at a later stage) then just rename it to Outbox.old for the time being. A new empty folder will still be created the next time you open OE. If there are more than one identity using OE then there will be more than one Outlook Express folder and its Outbox.dbx file.

I originally said Drafts rather than Outbox; now edited. The same procedure can be done to the "Drafts.dbx" file or to the "Hotmail - Sent Items.dbx" file if necessary or as required. The latter should only be necessary if the file has already got into your Hotmail - Sent Items folder, which sounds unlikely.

kayofcircles
02-08-2003, 11:44 AM
LittleSmurf : Have nothing useful to add to previous, but wanted to say "thank you!" for giving me a laugh this morning. I really needed one.

I like your "Thanks for all the help, but I am now contemplating punching a hole in my computer, then setting it on fire, then running over it with my car, then shooting whatever is left with a bazooka." and I have experienced exactly the same feelings with a puter in the past. :D :D Almost a year ago, my husband built a faster puter for me, and we had weird continuous problems with it, until we got to your description, and gave up..deciding we didn't have time for all that grief. We're about to try again, so I will remember your comments.:)