PDA

View Full Version : can't open any applications

Honeycbee
02-06-2003, 02:00 AM
Hey, thanks for reading this. hopefully someone will be able to help.

I'm running Windows 98 v2 and recently installed some software and drivers for a cable modem. now any time i start my computer or try to start a program i get the following message.

"This program has performed an illegal operation and will shut down. if the problem persists contact the program vendor.

the details are as follows:
(program) caused an invalid page fault in module MSWSOCK.DLL at 017f:7b12c5c7
Registers:
EAX=00000001 CS=017f EIP=7b12c5c7 EFLGS=00010202
EBX=00000001 SS=0187 ESP=006bca14 EBP=006bcbf0
ECX=00000001 DS=0187 ESI=bff8429f FS=124f
EDX=bffc9310 ES=0187 EDI=00000000 GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
00 07 09 00 00 00 56 65 6e 7c 44 02 00 c0 41 19
Stack dump:
7b121ded 7b12f638 7b120000 7b121546 7b120000 8195e02c bff7ddcd 7b120000 00000001 00000000 00000000 7b120000 8195e02c 81964440 81964418 8196442c"

sometimes the program will open but not work properly, (ie. on AOL i can check mail but don't see a buddy list and can't access the internet). some programs won't open at all.

on microsoft's site the only solution i could find required me to completely uninstall and reinstall all files doing with networking and tcp/ip. there has to be an easier way! Also, im nervous because im about to go back to university and will need to conect to the LAN while in the dorms. PLEASE help! i want my computer to be normal again :(

Sylvander
02-06-2003, 04:04 AM
Hello Honeycbee.

1. The simple, quick and sure way to get back to the working system you used to have is:

Remove the hardware you installed then:
Re-format your c: drive and restore a backup of the c: drive taken when the system was working to your satisfaction without the cable modem.
That [sort of] wipes your drive and puts it back the way it was.

But now you’re going to say “but I don’t have a backup”.
Well if you don’t have a system of backup now, make sure you get one after you get out of this trouble.

2. And anyway, you probably don’t want to “go back”.
You want to move forward and get this stuff working.
In which case the above is not your preferred solution.

3. Check out your “Control Panel>Network>Configuration”.
Mine is working and configured for a cable modem and lists:
a. Client for Microsoft Networks.
“This component allows your PC to use client software to connect to an Internet server and access its resources. If this is missing, click the ADD button to install it.”
b. Microsoft Family Logon.
c. Netgear PCI Adapter
[My Network Adapter for broadband connection]
d. TCP/IP [not bound to a ->Dial-Up Adapter]
[This is the “Transmission Control Protocol”/”Internet Protocol”]
This is very important. It’s required for Internet access and most PC’s normally use this protocol.

Your system may be incorrectly configured so as to suit the use of a Dial-Up modem [and you don't use a Dial-Up modem].

I'd advise getting a big, thick book on PC's and use it for reference.
I got:
"Using and Upgrading PC's" published by QUE, author Joe Kraynak.
It was sold cheaply and is very comprehensive.
It gives advice on how to set up networks and Internet connections and I'm reading it to help.
Understanding it all is another matter.

Hopefully, someone who knows [and understands] more about this will come along.

Honeycbee
02-06-2003, 10:41 AM
Thanks for replying Sylvander.

Perhaps i should claify my situation and my exact question.

connecting to the internet is the least of my concerns. the system is configured properly (ps. the modem and the computer worked fine for three days before it started freaking out.) and i do in fact use a dial-up modem on occasion as i do a lot of traveling.

all i want to know is, how do i replace a single corrupted file without 'wiping my drive'? is it even possible to replace just one file? will replacing MSWSOCK.DLL even fix my problem or is this just a symptom of a bigger problem?

deddard
02-06-2003, 10:52 AM
Start win 98 in safe mode, uninstall the software that is causing the problems, and reboot. hopefully the system will then recognise the hardware, and you can proceed to reinstall the software for it.

Sylvander
02-06-2003, 12:21 PM
OK,
Navigate to the cabinet files [NET7.cab I think] on your Windows installation disk.
Right click on the cabinet file and click “View”.
Scroll to the “mswsock.dll” file and right click on it and click “Extract”.
Then specify that it should be put in the “c:\Windows\System” folder.

Here’s Microsoft’s instructions on how to do it
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;129605

But you said:
“will replacing MSWSOCK.DLL even fix my problem or is this just a symptom of a bigger problem?”

I believe there is nothing wrong with this dll.
The “Invalid Page Fault” is what you should investigate.
This is caused when a “module” recovers data from memory and that data is totally inappropriate to its needs.
It can make no sense of it.
This could be due to a number of things.
Perhaps another module has overwritten the data, or perhaps the data could not be retrieved.
There’s a great list on the Microsoft Knowledge Base of “Invalid Page Fault” due to multi-various causes.

Personally, I had Invalid Page Faults occurring and they stopped after I started going to the Windows Update site regularly to update.

Regularly keep track of file changes using “Start>Run>sfc” [System File Checker].
If this has been done use it to check on your files.

HeadachesAbound
02-06-2003, 01:06 PM
Have you checked for virii? I know that Klez does some pretty nasty things that almost match what you are describing (unable to load apps, apps act funny, etc.)

If you haven't eliminated virii, you might want to start there.

mjc
02-06-2003, 11:04 PM
1. Download and run LSP-fix (http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm), it will restore the basic winsock stack configuration.

2. Download and run HijackThis (http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/), save the log and copy & paste it here. it is possible, that since it was running correctly that some spyware/malware did muck up the winsock.

Honeycbee
02-06-2003, 11:36 PM
thanks everyone for your help

this afternoon I followed Microsoft's instructions on how to extract the file from the system disk. After replacing the one file i ran system file check again and found yet another corrupt system file. Replacing both files seems to have rectified the problem and i downloaded any Win98 patches from Microsoft's website that i was missing to hopefully prevent future problems. All my programs are working and i am able to acces the internet via my new cable modem. :) Thanks again everybody.