PDA

View Full Version : USB bandwidth percentages in XP home - changeable?

deddard
02-06-2003, 12:07 PM
I'm using a cable modem on USB. it sucks.
The connection speed is supposed to be 600K, but I only usually achieve 200K.
I tried a few different things, including disabling ACPI etc (my machine didn't recover from that, and I had to reinstall XP:( )
I looked at the advanced section on the USB ports and noticed that they had a specific amount of bandwidth reserved. As I had several extra ports, I removed these, in the hope that it would free up some of the bandwidth, but no luck - the two ports have 20% and 10% respectively.
This is no different to when the four other ports on a PCI expansion were installed.

Is there any way to get around this? I'd like to try reassigning some of the bandwidth to the port which contains the cable modem, to see if it makes a difference.
I tried loading the cable on an ethernet, but the installation software sucked big time, and would not reassign DHCP - I may have another go in the future, but I'm a gibbering wreck right now:D

mjc
02-06-2003, 11:59 PM
I'm using a cable modem on USB.

Is this modem capable of being used with an ethernet connection?

If the modem has dual connections, ethernet USB, use the ethernet. If your cable company offers an ethernet modem switch it out.

deddard
02-07-2003, 10:46 AM
Yes it is capable of ethernet. I tried to connect using the ethernet, but the software supplied was useless. It failed to reassign IP address under DHCP - several times.
I then switched back to using USB, but I will try to give the ethernet another go.
Right now I'm reloading all my other software - including Microsoft Office 2000, which I just happen to have lost the product key for:eek: