PDA

View Full Version : 103 error cannot find setup.dll

Gigi Piper
02-08-2003, 04:42 AM
Please help...running windows xp and installed something that caused me to lose the ability to open zip files...without the 103 error says cannot find setup.dll when in fact that file is in the folder...I cannot figure out how to correct this problem. The way it is now I can't install zip files. Need help soon....THANKS!!!!!!!!!!

YODA74
02-08-2003, 07:18 AM
and installed something that caused me to lose the ability to open zip files.

What is it you installed?? What ever it is uninstall it.
and then either do a system restore or last known good configuration.
if neither one of those work then boot to the CD and and do a repair..

Budfred
02-08-2003, 04:30 PM
Welcome to http://www.pcguide.com/ubb/pcgubb.gif

I agree with Yoda, we need to know what you installed and you probably need to uninstall it. If it is something you have to use, you could simply try reinstalling a program to open zip files. I use PowerDesk which comes in a free version and is much easier to use than Windows Explorer (it is a file manager).

The other thought I had is that you may have installed some malware (virus, spyware, trojan), so checking for that may be needed. Let us know more detail about what you did and what version of Windoze you are using and we can be more helpful.

Paul Komski
02-08-2003, 05:56 PM
This error typically appears after an incomplete uninstall of a program. The uninstall would typically have been interupted or was an older program not installed through the "add/remove programs" mechanism or install shield.

Reinstall the program again to the same directory through add/remove programs and then, if you can, uninstall it again using add/remove programs. If that fails you may need a third party uninstall utility to uninstall it.

It also sounds like this program may have changed the file association for zip files. I believe that WinXP (like WinME) has a native zip (or compression) utility but I don't immediately know how to restore the windows defaults - other than doing a system restore to a point before the corruption occured.

HOW TO: Use Compressed (Zipped) Folders in Windows XP (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;306531)

PS There's a fix to restore the zip associations at the bottom of:- http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

Gigi Piper
02-08-2003, 09:16 PM
Gentlemen...
I am running Windows xp as first stated.
I have a new laptop and was installing many programs for a week. I have no idea which program I installed caused the error 103 (opening zip files).
So the first thing that came to mind was to do a system restore. I tried every restore point I had and not one of them made a difference, I am still not able to open zip files.

I use PowerDesk that was one of my first installs...I am having this error problem with zip files using Powerdesk. I have installed too many programs setting this up to know which one could of caused the error 103 setup.dll problem. I was hoping I wouldn't have to reformat and start over I have two weeks worth the time doing the necessary installs.
After all the necessary cd installs I began trying to install zip files, when I realized no zip file would open without the 103 error.

I always use end it all before an install and reboot after installs.
At one point I do think It was a cd install that wouldn't work that caused this but not even sure what program that was.
What left to try? Thanks. Gigi

Paul Komski
02-08-2003, 09:38 PM
MyComputer>>Tools>>FolderOptions>>FileTypes.

What is associated there with the zip extension?

Also, if you RClick on a zip file what happens if you choose the option Extract from the menu list displayed?

Budfred
02-08-2003, 10:05 PM
You could also try reinstalling PowerDesk, that might reestablish your zip associations and function.