PDA

View Full Version : Internet Explorer problems

Oz
02-08-2003, 03:39 PM
First I'll give you a brief discription of my system.

AMD 1700XP
512 SDRAM
WinXP
GeForce3
20G HD

THe only problems Im having with my PC is that when i click the IE icon to launch the explorer it takes up to 10-15 seconds to pop up. And alot of times it will lock up when its searching for another website then unlock a few seconds later. Im on cable connection so its not lag. Ive downloaded the IE6 pack and it didnt help. Anyone got any suggestions?

Budfred
02-08-2003, 04:00 PM
Well, it certainly might be worthwhile to do malware scans and check what you are running in the background, but the simplest thing might be to get a better browser....

david eaton
02-08-2003, 04:13 PM
Have you tried clearing your temporary internet files? and/or history?

Might well account for some of it.

David

Oz
02-08-2003, 05:30 PM
I have cleared my PC of all adware things using a program called adaware.I also just downloaded Netscape which is running like a charm so it's definitely something to do with IE. I also deleted al the temp internet files and it still acting up

Budfred
02-08-2003, 06:12 PM
Did you use the new version of AdAware? The older outdated version will miss a lot and can actually cause some damage. Did you check background programs?

YODA74
02-08-2003, 06:37 PM
Usually, the problem is that a program in the startup group. Try the
following steps to see if the problem still occurs.
Note: This is not a solution, but a troubleshooting method.

1. Click Start, Run, please type "msconfig" (without the quotation marks)
into the Open box and then click OK.
2. On the General tab, select Selective startup.
3. Unselect the following check box: Load Startup Items

Note: It means that we only need to clear the check box near "Load Startup
Items".

4. Click Apply, OK.
5. Click Yes to restart the computer. Does the problem occur after we
unload the Startup Group?

If the problem doesn't occur, one of the programs in the startup group is
the cause.

seems your on cable try this

In IE browser, click on tools, internet options
Click on connections
make sure that never dial a connection is checked
click on lan settings
make sure nothing is checked
click ok twice
close the browser and then open a fresh one.Then go back in and put a check in Automatically detect settings.

Also go here there are two methods for repairing IE 6

http://www.theeldergeek.com/repair_ie6.htm

Oz
02-09-2003, 12:05 AM
Tried all of that and nothing worked. :(

rahulkothari
02-09-2003, 03:08 AM
I faced a similar pblem before... this is wat i did to fix it.

Completely get rid of IE using IEradicator (http://www.burstnet.com/cgi-bin/ads/ad4537a.cgi/1044774093930/RETURN-CODE)

Reboot.

Run Regcleaner (http://www.vtoy.fi/jv16/shtml/regcleaner.shtml). (tools > reg cleanup > do them all)

Reboot.

Download a fresh copy of IE (www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ ).

Wishing you all the best for your operation-IE. :p :cool:

Oz
02-10-2003, 03:16 AM
Tried that and not only did it not work it messed up my windows so I had to do a system restore. Oh well I found a solution anyways. I'm going to buy a new hard drive when my tax return comes in and have a fresh new load of windows. It's not the cheapest fix but hey I needed a new HD anyways :P

rahulkothari
02-10-2003, 04:45 AM
ooops... :confused:... sorry :(

glad to hear that now everything has gotten fine. :)

Sylvander
02-10-2003, 06:35 AM
Hello Oz.

This is where taking backups can be a great help.

You make a backup when the system is working well. Particularly just before installing some software.
You keep two or three backups that leap frog each other so that the oldest becomes the newest.
When you hit a software problem, one option available is to re-format the c: drive and restore a suitable backup.
This way you do not need to rebuild your software from zero and you don’t lose your important data, e-mails, address books, favourites etc.

I read a suggestion that this kind of technique is a good way to eliminate a HDD infection from the files.
The backup must be clean of course.

By the way, when I saw rahulkothari suggesting using “RegCleaner” I thought “UH-OH”, TURB-LE.
I did this and had to use a backup to get me out of the trouble that ensued.