PDA

View Full Version : xp home problem

GrEEdY
02-09-2003, 01:14 AM
okay here's the deal:

i installed a program a while ago ( i think it was a new video driver) i then restarted my computer and then the blue screen of death appeared. i then tried everything: safe mode, regular boot, boot to last know good configuration: nothing would get past the blue screen of death.

since i had only a little bit of stuff on my multi-partion c drive (also have a e drive for mp3s and a f drive for non-window program); i decided to reformat the c drive. installed xp home again and went to try to open a game, but wouldn't open. so i then had to reformat the f drive and reload all the games and software that was on that drive.

my question is there a way that if this happens again that i can just reformat the c drive without losing the info on the f drive? from now on all my drivers will be installed in the f drive but just to make sure is there a way?

thanks

greedy

Budfred
02-09-2003, 01:41 AM
Did you try running the XP repair program from the CD before you did the reformat/reinstall?? I am guessing that would be your best option.

Jhorner1
02-09-2003, 03:08 PM
You can just format the C drive and reinstall Windows, but you will still have to reinstall all your drivers and programs because windows will not know they exist. You will not have to reinstall your data files this way, but be sure to save them in a folder separate from the app that created them.
For future times, if you have room on another drive, you can periodically store an updated drive image of your C drive. This way all you would need to do is format C and restore the image and all drivers and registry settings would be restored to the last backed up state.

david eaton
02-09-2003, 03:56 PM
Greedy, One possibility for backing up your drivers is a little program windrvbackup. This will back up all the drivers installed on your machine, and save them in folders, all ready to reinstall. You can D/L it from the Jermar (http://www.jermar.com/wdrvbck.htm) website.

David