PDA

View Full Version : Problem changing hard drive label

tonysolomon
02-09-2003, 12:17 AM
Right-click My Computer icon, located on the desktop. Click on open. Right-click Hard Drive. Click on properties.

When I do this I see "HARD DRIVE" in the label box (I accidentally left the caps lock on when re-installing OS). I retype it to upper/lower case and click ok. Norton antivirus auto protect displays warning screen telling me that Windows\Explorer.exe is attempting to write to the boot record. I have three choices: Stop, Continue, and Exclude.
I choose Continue and reboot. When the computer reboots, I check to see if the label has changed, but it is still in upper case.

I tried doing the same steps after I disabled Norton Anti-virus. It worked at first, but as I started using the computer, I noticed that the label went back to upper case. I think I might have to do it in DOS. I have Windows Millennium Edition.

How can I permanently change the label of the C drive(hard drive)?

Budfred
02-09-2003, 12:38 AM
Not sure you can... I have found that Windoze will change some files to upper case without any intervention at all. It may have had nothing to do with you leaving Cap Lock on in the first place. Someone else may know of a fix I don't though.....

tonysolomon
02-09-2003, 01:14 AM
Hey Budfred, I appreciate you responding. I'll keep looking. It just bothers me, since I'm in Windows Explorer a lot.

P.S. Thanks for helping me put this pc back together. I learned a lot that night. :)

Fruss Tray Ted
02-09-2003, 01:21 AM
I right clicked 'My Computer'
I saw my C: as 'Data' as it is supposed to be
I right clicked on that and found 'DATA' in the box you mentioned. Therefore it is just the way Windows displays the information in that particular box.

If there is no other problems with your software, it seems there's nothing to worry about.

tonysolomon
02-09-2003, 01:39 AM
My house has a second computer, and it's running 98SE. It's C: drive is labeled "Hard Drive".

tonysolomon
04-02-2003, 11:58 PM
I just happened to figure this out the other day, so I thought I'd post it. I went into safe mode and changed the name of the C: drive to upper and lower case, while in Windows Explorer. I thought that would do it, since Norton was not running. I think it worked temporarily, but Norton switched it back. I then repeated the renaming process, while in normal mode. When the warning message came up I chose Exclude. It was the first time I'd picked that choice. It was the answer to the problem. Now the C: drive label is in upper and lower case. :)

tonysolomon
04-27-2003, 01:27 AM
:( I guess the change was only temporary. Windows Explorer keeps showing it in all caps. I don't know why. :confused: