PDA

View Full Version : 2nd HD Not Detecting On Win XP

Daniel-Man
02-10-2003, 03:30 AM
Hi, I just formatted my Hard drives using 0s, by using low level formatting software, and have now installed windows XP. My Western Digital 20 GB hard drive which is my 2nd hard drive, however is not being detected? How can I get win XP to detect it?

deddard
02-10-2003, 05:40 AM
LOW LEVEL?
Err - low level formatting is a big no-no. It wipes all info on sectors, clusters etc, as well as deleting the FAT.
If you actually did a low-level it is not recoverable using normal methods.
If however, you did a high-level format using '0s', then you probably just need to enter the bios, choose autodetect to let the system see the disc, (ensure that both ide channels are enabled in the bios) and then format/partition the disc again if necessary.

Budfred
02-10-2003, 02:05 PM
If you boot with the XP disk in the CD drive, it should offer you the option to partition and format and you select the second drive. If it doesn't, you could boot with a bootdisk and using fdisk to partition/format. Then reboot with XP and format further if needed (for NTFS).

Daniel-Man
02-11-2003, 03:06 AM
deddard - i mustve done high level then with the 0's. My bios is detecting both hard drives. I'll try doing what budfred said and detecting the 2nd HD through dos then formatting it again. When I installed win xp it did detect both and I think I formatted both when it asked me too. I didnt setup any partitions cause I want two whole drives.

deddard
02-11-2003, 08:01 AM
You still need to set up a partition, even if the disk only has one - otherwise the computer doesn't know where to write anything.

mjc
02-11-2003, 10:36 AM
True low-level format is a factory operation.

But, these days, most drive manufacturers call the mid-level format (a zero fill) low-level.