PDA

View Full Version : help

pupa
02-10-2003, 02:57 PM
hi, im trying to fix my friends computer, there's a ringing noise coming from the tower it's a long ring that lasts about two minutes i literlly have a headache :-) and it freezes everything except for the cursor and this happens every 15 min or so i have no idea what the problem is.another thing that happens is that the green and orange lights on the tower flash as it's happening, can anyone help me? thank you[COLOR=blue]hi, im trying to fix my friends computer, there's a ringing noise coming from the tower it's a long ring that lasts about two minutes i literlly have a headache :-) and it freezes everything except for the cursor and this happens every 15 min or so i have no idea what the problem is.another thing that happens is that the green and orange lights on the tower flash as it's happening, can anyone help me? thank you:confused:

YODA74
02-10-2003, 03:10 PM
Answer the phone it may stop :D

Your going to have to come up with more than that

Does it boot ok?

does it shut down ok?

have you taken the cover off and visually look and hear where it is coming from?

are the fans all spinning?
Is it emitting from the HD?

Is this a notebook or a tower if it is a tower it really shouldn't be here in the notebook section but seems your new here the first one is free. And welcome to the PC Guide

pupa
02-10-2003, 03:19 PM
it does boot ok it shutsdown fine i know a so called technician took a look at it and couldnt figure it out beleive it or not i think he told my friend there was nothing she could do, anyway i dont give that easy i really want a fix it even though im an amateur, the phone thing you said :rolleyes: funny:D

pupa
02-10-2003, 03:24 PM
I dont know where to post, if i knew the problem i would have posted under the right category but i dont so here i am thanks for the welcome

YODA74
02-10-2003, 03:48 PM
No I haven't given up on you I'm just on tooo many sites doing the same thing at once and doing phone support...

wish i new what the tech thought it was it's kind of hard just to pull a sound out of air and make a diag.

are you sure your not getting interferance thru the speakers and maybe the neighbors phone is ringing?? not being a smart ass here it's just it can happen.

unless it's one of the fans? or the harddrive it's self? there really isn't much else that can make a ringing sound and then it would be more of a chatter or a squeeling noise?

Did this so called tech give you any inclination as to what she thought it was??
are you on cable or Dial up?
Is this a MAXTOR harddrive? what type of video card is in this case?

pupa
02-10-2003, 03:59 PM
It's not the speakers she didn't even have them until today, and the noise is a long squeeling beep, I never spoke to the tech my friend did and all she told me is that he couldnt figure it out and said there was nothing he could do,by the way im starting my tech support coarse on the 18th i cant wait :)

YODA74
02-10-2003, 04:07 PM
Basically I would have to say the HDD is going But I really can't say for sure as mentioned I would my self open the case and see if I couldn't localize where the sound is comeing from.. All we can do is suggest where it may be comeing from and this could go on for decades:D
He he..

I also would suggst to make a back up of the programs or anything else on the drive that your friend wants to keep.(just in case) the drive is going south..

let us know if you find out anymore info..

pupa
02-10-2003, 04:24 PM
thanks for your help yoda ill open it up and check it out myself even though i dont know what the heck im doing lol I think it's the HD also ill do what you suggested, ill let you know what's happening thanks again

Budfred
02-10-2003, 05:56 PM
I would wonder if the internal speaker might be generating the noise and the most likely cause of this would probably be a short. To check this, pull the connector to the motherboard for the internal speaker and see if the noise continues.

Also, as Yoda suggested, please post back with as much detail as possible about the system in question. How old is this system? When did this problem start? Did your friend install any new hardware or even software recently? Does your friend surf the internet and, if so, does she have antivirus software and a firewall? What version of Windoze is she using? Is this a brand name computer or a local build or did she build it herself?? The more you tell us, the more likely we can help.